Metal Guitarist Forums banner

In the market for a DSLR

Tags
dslr market
3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kagami 
#1 ·
As most of you know, the photos of my guitars come out like crap.
So I`ve been looking at cameras, and I have no fucking clue which camera to buy. I`m aware that I need a telephoto lense for close-up detail shots.

A bunch of my friends have Nikon D50`s, and they get awesome shots from it. I understand that the D50 is no longer available, and replaced by the D40.
So is this the camera I should go for, or are there better cameras out there in that price range?
Also, which telephoto lens should I be looking for?

#3 ·
I have the D60 and it is awesome, however not in the same price range as the D40, but then saying that not loads more either.

The Sony DSLR-A200K is around the same price as the D40, and both are capable of giving you brilliant photos. I've seen the Sony being sold with an 18-70mm lens, the Nikon's seem to be sold with an 18-55mm. Both are capable of giving you great detail on close up shots, but then I don't know how close you want to be zooming in :lol:.

#4 ·
I would like to keep it under a grand since this is mainly to photograph my guitars, but it will be used elsewhere.

Is this a good deal?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-3-5-5-6G-55-200mm-Zoom-Nikkor-Accessory/dp/B00152MT4W/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1224270787&sr=1-22]Amazon.com: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX "VR" and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX "VR" Zoom-Nikkor Lens + 4GB Deluxe Accessory Kit: Camera & Photo[/ame]

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, that is not too bad at all. The only thing I don't like about the D60 is that it doesn't have the data screen on the top by the photo button, you have to look at your settings on the back screen. But that's just me and what I'm used to.

This looks too good to be true, though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/D90-Digital-SLR...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Edit: Nevermind, it is. Those are not VR lenses, and you'll want VR lenses.

#6 ·
I`m not really concerned where the setting display is, I just need a better camera that I can grow into this weird realm of photography.

Thanks for the help, I think I`ll pull the trigger on the D60:yesway:

#10 ·
I think you'll be pretty pleased.

After having a D70s for the past few years, and using the D200s and 300s, I've gotten so accustomed to my settings in that window by the button (because I mainly shoot in aperture priority, and the scroll wheel right there with the display is very helpful), that it would be a deal breaker for me, but for someone who doesn't need that, this camera will be more than capable to do what you need to do.

#8 ·
Whats wrong with orange shit?:rofl:
This is actually Cherry Sunburst! LOL

My friend took this one with a D50. It has some weird amber hugh to the entire photo. Any idea what he did there? I want to avoid that sort of thing. Unfortunately, he recently passed away, so I have no clue.

#9 ·
Bloody hell that's a good deal :yesway:

send me that cherry sunburst guitar :)

#14 ·
I`ve kind of had my heart set on a Nikon for the past 4 years or soo.
A friend of mine shoots Motorsports for a living, and he recommended the Nikons. Of course, there will be a huge learning curve on my end, but it has been suggested to me many times that I need to step up and get a good camera to photograph my guitars.

The best comment so far: "it looks like my 4 year old photographed the guitars on your website".:nutkick:
I have to agree with him.

#15 ·
nice thing about Nikon is you can pretty much use any of their lenses on any of their cameras with the exceptions of the G lenses which have no aperture ring on them.

It'd be nice if somebody made a DSLR kinda like the F4, no LCD pieces of crap on there, all the settings are buttons or knobs. The Maxxum 7D is kinda the closest thing to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.