Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Legion

Tags
legion
4K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  playstopause 
#1 · (Edited)
So, 2 days ago, out of boredom - my lady and me decided to go to the cinema - saw a trailer recently for this movie called "Legion". Telling from the trailer - this should be all about the apocalypse, Angels vs. Demons, hell on earth, maybe even in a more "deeper" theological way? ("Who are you?" - "My name is Legion, because i am many...")...way to go, thats what i want to see! So lets go...

2 hours later - i'm asking myself: "Have i just seen the most epic movie FAIL of all time?". "Is this possible? Have i missed something essential? Did i fall asleep and missed all the good parts?"

Really, altough (because?) i'm somewhere between an Atheist and an Agnostic - i really like books and movies about hell, heaven, apocalypse, angels, demons, blablalbla...and it is REALLY hard to make me not going to like it, but holy mother (!) did they fuck this one up! This was utter nonsense, from like 15 minutes after it started until the end.

Seriously, when it started and they started to "introduce" the people, i thought this could be good. Dennis Quaid is a well known actor, and not a bad one, one should think that one with his status wouldnt sell himself for utter cheese. but when it all "started" - for the first time in my life i was thinking about leaving the cinema before the movie ends.

i'll put the stuff into spoiler-tags to not ruin it for you, altough the first spoiler-paragraph contains only facts that are made clear within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, decide by yourself if you wanna read it - the second one is really a spoiler.

.) So, angels take over the bodies of humans to walk the earth and to kill all mankind - okay, but why are they acting like retarded zombies?? really, Zombies at least dont stop attacking. fail.

.) one should think "God" has more to offer then some zombiedemonangels taking over human bodies. fail.

.) During the whole movie, i had the feeling that they wanted to do a "best-of" with scenes of their favourite movies. The whole time i thought this was a "Demon Knight"-ripoff (A "Tales From The Crypt" movie with 90s modern metal soundtrack), with a wannabe - GodsArmy (i think the original title is "The Prophecy", and "Gods Army" was just its title over here) meets Matrix touch to it. Oh, and of course you got the obligatory "Isnt that from the Terminator?" feeling over the whole movie. thinking about it....yes, thats prettymuch it: a worst-of-DemonKnightTerminatorGodsArmyMAtrix.

.) Michael coming back was propably one the LAMEST things i have ever seen. i really was hoping that exactly THIS would not happen...cheese deluxe.

.) so if its over - why the fuck are they leaving with shitloads of guns and weapons? it looks like it isnt over - but why shouldnt it? god obviously changed his mind about mankind, sending Michael back to stop Gabriel. so what are they afraid of?

.) so, the Angels (except Gabriel) cant come near that child. but they could come close to it when it was in her mothers uterus? please think twice.

.) oh, and why THIS child? is there any explanation for this? no, there isnt. yeah, a child is innocent, but what seperates this child from all the others? this is sooooo lame, i bet they just thought "lets make it depened on that child! cause a child is innocent!!" - yeah, good idea. :eek:

.) shouldnt the "other side" (hell/lucifer) be somehow involved in the apocalypse?

this really was - under the fact how good this COULD have been - the worst movie i have ever seen. I really WANTED to like it...but i cant. Not a single minute.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, I've seen a billion movies like that and I tend to be attracted to them... for some reason (probably the fact that I used to be in a cult horror movie club in college and have seen hundreds of underground horror movies might explain that)... but when I saw the trailer for this, I thought, "Bad news." So glad I haven't gone to see it. :lol:

#6 ·
It's been a while since I turned a movie off halfway through... :lol:

This movie is so fail, it's an insult to other things that fail to call it such. I never though I'd see the day when Michael Bettany would make Dennis Quaid look like a hack.

#13 ·
I didn't know anything about the story before I went into the theater. All I knew was it was directed by Scorsese with DiCaprio in it. BUT... :lol:... I predicted the ending about 30 minutes into it.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a great movie, though. It was excellent. :yesway:

#18 ·
I've heard good things about Shutter Island. It's on our list of things to do, probably the next night my girlfriend is off work.

It looks like one of those movies that are predictable, but in a way that you want it to be predictable. Plus, I heard DiCaprio was spot on in this one. I pretty much enjoy anything he's in, anyway.

#21 ·
I actually liked what I remember of this movie -- I was on a date when I saw it, so I wasn't exactly paying much attention to it. I thought the battle between Gabriel and Michael at the end was pretty cool.

#25 ·
Wha...? :lol:

Leonardo DiCaprio is an awful actor. He ruined "Man in the Iron Mask" with his spoiled brat portrayal of King Louis the XIV of France. Rather than fearing the brutal tyrant, I spent the whole movie wanting to turn him over my knee and spank him like a small child throwing a hissie fit. He was completely unbelievable. His horrible South African accent and wooden performance made me turn off "Blood Diamond" halfway through. You only think he was decent in "Titanic" because everyone NOT Billy Zane, including that hack Kate Winslet, were positively terrible. Ditto for "Romeo and Juliet", with John Leguizamo being the only standout. The man deserves to be shot for what he does to the profession, and I absolutely refuse to watch anything he stars in. I'll never see any of the other movies you mentioned, since I refuse to be duped into wasting five bucks on a rental. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Meanwhile, I watched "Casablanca" a couple of weekends back, and was reminded how acting is SUPPOSED to be executed. The tortured expression on Humphrey Bogart's face when Ingrid Bergman walks into the bar and catches him crying into his drink is exactly why we still know his name, and he was that good in practically everything he did. He had to be good, too, or Claude Rains' constant comedic patter and affability would completely steal the movie away from the romantic triangle rounded off by the strong, stoic role played by Paul Henreid.

Hollywood used to be stuffed full of enormous talent like the four I just mentioned, but now we just replace it with explosions. Why? Because of assholes like Leonardo DeCaprio. He's even worse than Brad Pitt, and that is saying something. At least Brad Pitt can convince me that he's off his rocker in stuff like "Twelve Monkeys" and "Fight Club". I'm sorry to see you guys have low expectations, but I guess that means you won't get disappointed as often.

#26 ·
You're out of your mind, Dave. I'm with Boober. DiCaprio is the modern day Al Pacino as far as I'm concerned. Everyone has a dud here and there, but by and large Leo's body of work is excellent.

Bob didn't even mention the Basketball Diaries. And how could you not think that he completely nailed Howard Hughes?

#27 ·
Did I just wake up in an alternative universe? Pacino in his prime smoked anything DiCaprio has ever blundered his way through. Name one thing he has done that is as awesome as "The Godfather". You can't. However, he was in "The Quick in the Dead". That there is some quality fair to commit suicide to. :lol:

Never saw "The Basketball Diaries", since I skip just about any movie involving high school sports. Been done too much, don't enjoy watching them, "Hoosiers" already did it better than anyone else ever will.

#31 ·
Did I just wake up in an alternative universe? Pacino in his prime smoked anything DiCaprio has ever blundered his way through. Name one thing he has done that is as awesome as "The Godfather". You can't.
Sure I can. The Aviator.

Is The Aviator a better movie than The Godfather? Of course not. Was DiCaprio's performance in it every bit as good as Pacino's in TG? Absolutely.

We're talking acting talent, not movie quality. (Even though The Aviator was pretty awesome).

#28 ·
Leo can be good, but isn't always good. I'll never forgive him for destroying the otherwise-incredible "Man In the Iron Mask" remake with his horrible, unbelievable Louie. That said, I've seen him be good, as well, and Shutter Island seems like the sort of role that would fit him.

#32 ·
I was trying to find the clip from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and failed, but this reminds me of the scene with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck talking about how you have to do the sell-out movie to make some money, and then you can do the arty films you actually care about :lol: I find that's the biggest problem with guys like Leo and Brad Pitt, put them in a movie they give a shit about, and they deliver, but put them in some Hollywood crap, and they kind of half-ass it. Still do a decent job given the source material, but nothing brilliant.

#34 ·
OnTopic: Robin Hood (the new one) and Legion stole my money! There is no excuse to make a movie that bad! Good ideas with terrible execution.

OffTopic: Dicaprio was not always good in my eyes. But Departed was a fucking awesome movie, and he was acting terrific!

I want to watch Event Horizon now. I dunno why, but a good movie can clean the memory of Legion maybe!

#36 ·
Well, I gotta back up Dave on this one....mostly. I'm no fan of DiCaprio though I can tolerate him in some stuff. I actually thought he did a pretty good job in Blood Diamond and Departed. On par with Pacino though?? Never say never but.....nah never.

He's at least not as much of a hack as Nick Cage. :lol:

As for Legion..I called this one off the previews. It just looked way too stupid for me to bother with spending any money on. I'll probably watch it at some point too but not till I can do so for free. :yesway:

#37 ·
Damn, i still cant believe that i've seen this epic-fail-movie in the cinema. :lol:

As for Di Caprio: great actor imho, he has done some real terrible movies in the mid-to-late-90s (Titanic, Romeo+Juliet,..), where every 14 year old girl wanted to get deflowered by him - but before and after this time, many awesome films with him in it, and always played great! The alst ones i've seen where Departed, Body Of Lies and Blood Diamond - all awesome.

But still something in me just cannot compare him to Pacino. But its also hard for me to differentiate between good movie vs. good acting - therefor, the mentioned "The Godfather" is untouchable for me, because its a masterpiece of epic proportions, its perfect and imho the prime example of "how" a movie should be done!

#38 ·
Oh, shit! I totally forgot 'The Departed', and that's one of my favorite movies of all time.

5. The Departed. Genius performances from 4 actors. Even the typically wooden Mark Wahlberg was terrific in this film (and nominated/winning many awards for supporting actor), and without Dicaprio just nailing it, I think this wouldn't even be a good movie, even though Jack, Mark, and Matt killed. Leo was the anchor.
The Departed Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes 92%.
List of accolades received by The Departed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Leo AGAIN nominated as best actor in the big 3 awards (along with many, many others) and winning in quite a few others.

Dave is goddamn delusional on this one. Yes, Leo has had a few stinkers. Yes, TMitIM sucked, and yes, he did a terrible job. But to throw the baby out with the bathwater is nuts. Shit, Pacino, great actor that he is, has still turned in quite a few stinkers, where he was just terrible.

Dave, you're smart guy. I love you, and respect you a ton. I think you've got more wisdom and common sense than ten people. But I'm thoroughly convinced you are an elitist with questionable taste when it comes to art.

#39 ·
And FTR, I think 'The Departed' is comparable to the Godfather. Look at IMDB's user list of top 250 movies - The Godfather is #2 (behind 'The Shawshank Redemption', which I agree with; greatest movie ever), The Godfather 2 is #3, and 'The Departed is #51. When you look at the list of films between #3 and #51, that's a worthy fuckin' spot. I mean, there are some terrific movies in those 48 spaces - Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, The Empire Strikes Back, Good Fellas, Fight Club, Psycho, Citizen Kane (my personal choice for #2, BTW)... just great stuff.

IMDb Top 250

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.