Terry Pratchett - Discworld

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry Pratchett - Discworld

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Terry Pratchett - Discworld

Have any of you lads read this? I'm on the hunt for a new set of audiobooks for my commute/trip to AZ next week, and have heard good things about it.

Looking for something in the vein of WOT/ASOIAF/Malazan, since listening to swords and hammers and dragons and shit makes me show up at work ready to slay some bad guys.

Yeah man, got my girl reading these the other day

If you can get hold of them on audiobook, get "The Colour of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic"...listen to them in that order (as TLF is the sequel).

Very humorous, witty books that still have slaying and what not although their hero is far from conventional

Definitely recommend them. I have two copies of "The Colour of Magic" because I read the shit out of my first one.
    "I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth." - Oliver Reed

"America blaming BP for the oil spill is like a man punching a prostitute in the face because his own needs disgust him." - Stewart Lee

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

The humor aspect kind of turns me off of it a little bit. I like my dragon slaying stark and brooding.

I've only read The Colour of Magic, the first Rincewind novel, so far. I really liked the humor and the setting, but it started to drag a little bit towards the end, maybe because I was rushing to finish it so I could start reading another book.

The setting is vastly different from your usual fantasy universe, and the writing style is eccentric in a way that I like. Overall it was a good read, though. I'd like to read more Discworld books in the future, especially since I've read on the internets that series gets better down the road, and that The Colour of Magic is not regarded as a favorite among Discworld readers.
    Last edited by Thomas; 07-06-2010 at 10:12 PM.

ME: RG550
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

Have you read "Good Omens", with Neil Gaiman? It's a cult classic for good reason. But if you don't like humor it may not be what you're looking for.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

I've read three of the Discworld novels and thought the "Colour of Magic" TV movie by SkyOne was really good (although I'm sure "purists" hate it).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The humor aspect kind of turns me off of it a little bit. I like my dragon slaying stark and brooding.
    Then why are you considering reading/listening to Discworld? The whole thing is an off-the-wall comedy. Very hilarious and very interesting, but the exact opposite of stark and brooding.

ME: Revenger 7-1
    MA: Mitchell MD-100
    Rig: Crate GFX50 Two-Tone

As other's have said, this is not a "dragon slaying" series. It's humor series set in a "world of magic". They read more like a Douglas Adams re-telling of a series of late night D&D sessions. If you don' think you'd like the Aussie version of Douglas Adams, you might want to skip this series.

That said, I love the books, when I'm in the mood, but I really can't read two in a row.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

where in AZ? I have a LOT of beer
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer