Metal Guitarist Forums banner

I will now watch Fight Club for the first time.

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  eleven59 
#1 ·
Yes, I know. It really did take me this long to see it.

[action=Ken]is a little worried about a movie who's cover is two guys with a bar of soap (especially with Edward Norton makin' a Duck Face in the background). :lol: :ugh:[/action]

#3 ·
And I thought I was late to seeing it, like, 5-ish years ago :lol:

I had the same problem you did, I kept hearing it was great, but kept looking at the cover and reading the description and wondering how good could it possibly be?

It's now one of my favourite movies. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people just kind of like it. It's definitely different, though seeing it today it won't seem quite as groundbreaking as it probably did when it first came out :lol:

#15 ·
I expected to hate it - the previews made it look like a movie about Brad Pitt being a tough guy, which I expected to be annoying as hell, and only one or two steps removed from a chick flick (i.e - lots of Brad flexing without a shirt on).

In actuality, it was fucking awesome. There's a huge psychological aspect that the previews completely left out.

Pick up the book, Ken - there's a completely different ending, and the contrast is kind of interesting.

#7 ·
And Helena Bonham Carter looks rather fine indeed in it ;)

#20 ·
This is a movie that requires 2 viewings. The initial viewing, then a 2nd viewing to catch all the little subtleties & to marvel at how well written the story is.

"I am Jack's smirking revenge."
"I am Jack's cold sweat"
"I am Jack's raging bile duct"
"I am Jack's broken heart"
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise"

"You are not your job.
You are not how much you have in the bank.
You are not the contents of your wallet.
You are not your fucking Khakis.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of
the world."

"You are not special. You are not a
beautiful or unique snowflake. You are
the same decaying organic matter as
everything else."

"I'd be very careful who I talked to about
this paper. It sounds like some dangerous
psychotic killer wrote this,and this buttoned
down schizo could probably snap at any moment and
stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-180
carbine gas-operated semiautomatic."

#22 ·
#23 ·
Hes like a modern day vonegut
Completely disagree.

For all of Vonnegut's cynicism and anti-modernism, you got the sense that he never lost his faith in humanity, and that deep down inside he was rooting for us. I've always thought it's one of the things that makes his work so beautiful, in fact.

Chuck, not so much. You get the sense he thinks we're all fucked on our own excesses, and just wants to enjoy watching the whole thing come down around us.

#26 ·
Yeah, even in The Sirens of Titan, there was a lightheartedness about the story that suggested that despite our ridiculous excesses and failings, humanity still had some redeeming qualities.

I need to reread Vonnegut's stuff, it's been too long.

#30 ·
Hell, especially in Sirens of Titan, where if you'll recall it concludes with the observation that everything that happens happens for a reason even if its one that we don't understand or seems senseless. And then, the quote right at the very end, "A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved." That's one of the most beautiful lines in all of Vonnegut, I think, and is almost anti-nihilistic in its implication that the human spirit can create purpose even in its absence.

#29 ·
Love Fight Club. Saw the film first, then read the book and I prefer the book to the film, but I prefer the films ending.

I start reading Invisible Monsters tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.