'Slumdog' child star loses home in Mumbai fire

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: 'Slumdog' child star loses home in Mumbai fire

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

'Slumdog' child star loses home in Mumbai fire

'Slumdog' child star loses home in Mumbai fire - CNN.com

New Delhi (CNN) -- "Slumdog Millionaire" child star Rubina Ali says her home was gutted by a fire that tore through her Mumbai slum.

"There was fire everywhere, there was so much chaos, my house was completely burned down, the whole slum was burned down," Rubina told CNN on Sunday.

The 12-year old said she was watching TV Friday when her neighbors started yelling "fire, fire!"

She then grabbed everything she could get her hands on and ran out. "But my awards are gone, my memories are gone," she said.
    Ali was referring to the numerous awards she received for her role as the young Latika in the critically acclaimed film that nabbed multiple Academy Awards..

Rubina said the her family is now living in a temporary shelter. Rubina's father Rafiq Qureshi said they plan to move into a new home provided by a trust set up by the film's director Danny Boyle next month.

"They were in transit. They were just about to move to an apartment the Jai Ho Trust has allotted for them," said trustee Nirja Mattoo said. "But as the building is new, they were waiting for the water and electricity to be installed. But unfortunately this incident happened."

Mattoo confirmed Rubina and the family were still residing in the Garib Nagar slum when the fire broke out.
    Absurd. This family made Hollywood a pile of money so big that the directors could fill swimming pools with it, and then were summarily dismissed back to the slums that they came from?

Am I missing something, or is that incredibly fucked up? Quote from the comments section (not sure how accurate):

It's been 2 years since Slumdog Millionaire won the Academy Award and picked up nearly $400m at the box office The fact that they couldn't throw her even half a mil and get her moved into an acceptable apartment ASAP is shameful.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Another comment - again, no idea how accurate it is.

Slumdog Millionaire kids still living in abject poverty. Hollywood exploited these child actors.en-year-old Azharuddin Mohammed and his family live under a tarp. His father has tuberculosis and may die soon. His mother is blind in one eye, but her condition could be fixed with a simple operation. Nine-year-old Rubina Ali is faring slightly better. Her family has a tin shack.There was a lot of controversy over the fact that the children were paid less than $3,000 a piece for their role in a film which went on to win multiple Oscars and gross $292 million worldwide

ME: Jacksons
    Rig: EVH 5150 III

It's definitely fucked up but the reality of it is this - if these few kids didn't take the part there are million other kids who would have gladly taken the part for the measly pay they offered. That's the thing with poverty in most Asian counties - it's very easy to get exploited.

ME: Camo COW7
    Rig: Behringer GM108 15W

That's fucked up indeed
    The Industrialist