Criminally overlooked movies

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Criminally overlooked movies

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Criminally overlooked movies

I'll start with Roby Roy. This movie is pretty much shoved full of awesome actors, and there is no one weak in the cast. It came out about two years after Schindler's List, and I think Liam Neeson's performance trumps his role as Oskar Schindler. He simply has not turned in a better performance either before or since, and, yes, I realize he has is a amazing actor that has played some incredible roles. Tim Roth is his equal with one of the best villain performances by anyone ever, since he really, really makes you despise him. Jessica Lange may steal the show, though, with her performance
    after the rape scene
    in the middle of the movie. She barely says anything at all, but the sheer range of emotion she portrays with her eyes and body language is a fine arts clinic. John Hurt and Andrew Keir round out things out with the sort of classical stage training that just doesn't exist in major motion pictures anymore.

Of course, there is this at the end of the movie:

[VIDEO]]YouTube - ‪Rob Roy - Final Duel‬‏[/VIDEO]

No music, no fancy special effects, no flashy moves. It's an authentic, gritty, real sword fight. William Hobbs knocks it out of the fucking park as fight choreographer. If you've seen the 90s versions of Robin Hood, Hamlet, The Count of Monty Cristo, or The Man in the Iron Mask, then you've seen his brilliance before. I maintain that this is his finest hour.

Awesome, awesome film. Caught it on HBO the other night, completely forgetting how amazing it was, start to finish. If you've never seen it, go rent it immediately.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: ESP Mirage
    Rig: Triaxis & SimulClass 2:90

Probably not criminally overlooked but I think it's a great movie with great acting that doesn't get a lot of praise. Also, I'm a sucker for anything to do with JFK and the Cuban missile crisis.

[VIDEO]]YouTube - ‪Trailer Thirteen-Days‬‏[/VIDEO]
    FUCK THE YANKEES, Cliff Lee, The Phillies, Tom Brady, Drew, snow,, Ebay, Bill Belichick, John Boehner, the iPhone, the gecko from the Geico commercials, shitty drivers, dealing with insurance companies, crazy ex girlfriends, my job at the moment, my shitty mood, new year's resolution's, happy people, the state of Connecticut, my cubicle at work, lower back pain, the Seahawks, anything Queensyche has done the last 15 years, NASA, Tiger Woods, the economy, people who can't drive in the rain, acid reflux, everyone in Dream Theater except John Myung, Metallica, customer service at Verizon, people who take up the whole aisle at the grocery store, The Rock, working Saturday's, waiting for Drew's album, The Packers, Robinson Cano, tires with no traction, spam email and the spam you eat, Putin, cavities, Netflix, Godzilla, Taylor Swift, the price of replacement windows on my house, squash... to be continued

ME: RGA 121 & SLSMG
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Dark City and Altered States

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. Chronicles is pretty well recognized in Sci Fi circles, but they are still pretty unrecognized by the mainstream media. Amazing movies.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

-Drunken Master (fuck your new kung fu/karate movies, this is still the best)
    -Original Pink Panthers (Peter Sellers, Steve Martin can choke on a dick)
    -Time Bandits

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I fucking love the Drunken Master movies. That shit was some of the best martial arts ever. The scene in the bar with the split bamboo rods...

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Fuckin Enemy Mine
    Confront and Cry

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueleader View Post
    Suck a beautiful movie.