Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: MG Reading List

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

MG Reading List

inspired by Dave's Enders Game reference thread, i think we should have a solid reading list, because i love to read, and i don't have time to start a crappy book. so, list your favorite reads, categorized by: sci-fi, non-fiction, war, political, contains vikings, mystical, etc. let's keep this thread to listing, and no discussion (just your mini-review), to keep it from getting cluttered. if you have more to add, edit your post.

i'll go first.

Science / Non-fiction:
    Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark
    • basically, Sagan writes about science as a motive in life, rather than just a job. it's pretty interesting the way he describes his past experiences and whatnot. if you think of science as your religion (or your creed or whatever), then you should definitely read this one.

Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War
    • Caputo writes about his experiences in Vietnam in a factual sense. he writes about what happened, and doesn't really give you any spin, which i found really inspiring and interesting, as all i've ever heard about Vietnam was, "man, it was totally bad." first hand account > *

Historical Fiction
    Ngugi wa Thiong'o's Devil on the Cross
    • this story focuses on the travels of a Kenyan female as she meets characters based on the different social groups in the country. it's a story of colonialism, theft, and anger, and was written by Thiong'o on toilet paper as the author had been arrested as a political prisoner.

ME: Schecter Loomis 7
    Rig: Boss GT-8

Essay Collection: A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut Jr
    This a collection of brilliant essays by my favorite writer ever on everything from the Bush Administration to why we are here to the joys of being a Luddite. This beyond recommended. I reread it every so often just because I love it so much.

War: Johnny got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo. You've all heard the Metallica song "One" so you know the basic plot. The book is beyond bone chilling and thought provoking. It is my favorite piece of fiction ever.

Politics: A Power Governments Cannot Suppress by Howard Zinn. This is a series of short articles about various movements throughout history and the people behind them. Being a radical leftist guerrilla I love this stuff.
    The only proof he needed for the existance of God was music.
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Without music, life would be a mistake.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Historical novel : Pillars of the earth, by Ken Follet

The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel by Ken Follett published in 1989 about the building of a cathedral in Kingsbridge, England. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, primarily during the time known as The Anarchy, between the time of the sinking of the White Ship and the murder of Thomas Becket. The book traces the development of Gothic Architecture out of the preceding Romanesque Architecture and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory against the backdrop of actual historical events of the time. Although Kingsbridge is the name of an actual English town, the Kingsbridge in the novel is actually a fictional location representative of a typical market town of the time.
    The Pillars of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm reading it right now and it's amazing.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

Fiction: The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

The Road is a post-apocalyptic tale describing a journey taken by a father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted years before by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed civilization and, apparently, most life on earth. The novel was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the 2006 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction.
    I've just finished reading this, by the same author of "No Country For Old Men", Cormac McCarthy. The imagery is very powerful and it's hard not to picture the scenery in the game Fallout 3 when reading parts of the book. The film adaptation is due out later this year starring Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce and Charlize Theron among others.

Sci-fi: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Phillip K. Dick

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968) is a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. It contains two interlinking plots: the main plot follows Rick Deckard, a bounty hunter of androids, while the secondary plot follows John Isidore, a man of sub-normal intelligence who befriends some of the androids. The novel explores a number of philosophical issues including what it is to be human. By introducing organic and realistically humanoid androids in this novel, Dick asks what qualities, if any, are unique to or are able to define what is human. In 1982, Hampton Fancher and David Peoples' loose cinematic adaptation became the film Blade Runner.
    What is it that makes us human? A brilliant book by a fantastic author which directly influenced possibly my favorite film of all time: Blade Runner.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

"Lamb" - Christopher Moore
    The telling of Jesus's life, including the parts left out from the bible, as told by his childhood best-friend "Biff" Hilarious, and yet also quite insightful and moving in places, brilliantly written.

"The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" - Christopher Moore
    Not as sarcastic/clever as "Lamb", but higher up on the hilariously bizarre scale Also functions as a clever commentary on the over-medication of society.

"Bloodsucking Fiends"/"You Suck" - Christopher Moore
    Closer to "Lamb" in terms of sarcasm/one-liners. Best when you read both together. Has some hilariously unique characters, unlikely situations, and an interesting perspective on vampirism in modern society "You Suck" also features the best literary representation of the myspace/goth/emo scene I've read

"Survivor" - Chuck Palahniuk
    Just started reading this one, but so far it's really got my attention.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Sci-fi/Comedy : The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Simply a brilliant book. Douglas Adams has such lifelike dialog in his books. Ford Prefect is one of the best characters ever.
    Confront and Cry

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

Vellum: The book of all hours by Hal Duncan

Following the trail of a family legend, Reynard Guy Carter finds The Book of All Hours, aka the Vellum, a blueprint for all creation written by the scribe of God after the word was spoken. Carter thereafter wanders the strange, deserted worlds of the Vellum, while angels and demons, the Covenant and the Sovereigns, battle for control of the order of everything. Within the Vellum, Phreedom Messenger is on a quest to find her brother that will lead her to the very depths of the underworld in a movement parallel to Innana's descent to the underworld of Ereshkigal; and Seamus Finnan, her brother's betrayer and an old friend, is, like Prometheus, bound for his sins. The paths the three characters follow become a scintillating web of journeys across worlds and through the three dimensions of time. Duncan's version of a battle among the messengers of divinity proves fascinating as it takes unexpected turns within the framework of ancient myths. Regina Schroeder
    Copyright American Library Association. All rights reserved

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Fiction/Lit: The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna, by Umberto Eco
    Great book about a man who loses his memory, and has to relearn his memories. Strange. Perhaps touching to me, as I dealt alot with my dads failing memory. Eco is a great writer, and someone whom i wish to study semiotics under.

Fiction/Lit: Cosmopolis, by Don DeLillo
    Poorly recieved as lacking action, but thats sortof the point i think. DeLillo is another fanfuckingtastic writer

Fiction/Lit: Oedipus at Stalingrad, by Gregor von Rezzori
    A satire about social class in germany. Sometimes unappealing, but all in all a great read
    Last edited by Max; 05-26-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer