Thread: The end of the graphics card?

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
    PSN: CQ7String777

The end of the graphics card?

Not really, but potentially a step in that direction:

EVGA | Articles | EVGA H57 and H55

The link is to the new EVGA motherboards with on board intel HD video. The graphics "processor" is on the CPU (if you buy the right CPU) so there is no need for a card and the motherboard includes HDMI outputs.

For historical reference, Intel tried making a video card before and failed miserably.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L
    XBL: Dropbear Reaper
    PSN: ibznorange
    Steam: ibznorange

Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

That seems like concentrating most of the heat in a small space...
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30
    XBL: T3MJ1N

It's interesting, because it's great for Intel but horrible for Nvidia and the like, requiring a more expensive CPU and more frequent updates of the entire platform. This is also why Nvidia is tooling up to get into CPU production.

Intel's GPU history is quite checkered though, so we'll have to see how well they can actually build a graphics architecture.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: ESP Sexy Finger
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Randall V2
    XBL: yuecchi
    PSN: enthauptet
    Steam: enthauptet

Intel has a lot of graphics modules and has hacked them from other places (GMA500 is PowerVR) and yeah they aren't that great

Pinetrail (atom) has cpu integrated graphics as well.

ME: 90 RG570
    Rig: Digitech GSP2101
    XBL: AdamBath
    Steam: adam.bath

IMO, Motherboards should have standardized sockets for the video chip, so you buy 2 chips for the motherboard, the cpu and gpu. Have a separate bank for video ram as well.

It's interesting how the fastest-growing application for high-end video cards seems to be (and, for quite some time, has been) mathematical and scientific computing and even gaming hasn't really needed to use a whole lot of even some mid-range graphics cards. A year ago I put a good chunk of money down for an NVIDIA card with two-hundred-and-something stream processors for this reason (and, since NVIDIA drivers are abysmal, I haven't been able to use it) and I still haven't made it work very hard; I keep seeing videos from research groups using a few affordable consumer GPUs to get orders-of-magnitude improvements in their simulations.

I wonder how long graphics cards will resemble what we've been expecting over the last few years - since the people using all of the power in high-end graphics cards either don't care about graphics (nerds using them for their bazillions of single-precision floating point processors) or are total wankers (nerds who want to play CrysisShockEffect 666 on eighteen screens) we might not see GPUs continuing down this path for much longer.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: Mesa Roadking II

If they're using the PowerVR architecture then that's funny, I used to work for PowerVR, although, i have to say, powervr use a different approach to nvidia/ati, so whilst I'd not expect it to be an NVidia/ATI killer, i would expect it to be low power and small silicon footprint, which, when integrating shipside, is what you want.

heatwise, I'm using self contained watercoolers for my chips, which run stupidly quiet, and despite them being xeon 5530's, they never go past 40c...

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Martin OMC-1E
    MB: Dingwall Combustion
    Rig: Line 6

I don't think this is a step toward the end of the dedicated GPU. Motherboards generally have on board video. It only makes sense that on board video would advance at least enough to keep up with basic needs, but I doubt they'll be able to compete with dedicated GPUs. You don't have to pay as much as you used to for good performance, though. I got an NVIDIA 7800 when it was the latest and greatest card out there. I think I paid between $300 and $400 for it at the time. Last year, I decided to upgrade my video card since the old 7800 couldn't do much for me anymore. I think I paid about $100 and got two 9600s with built in Phys-X chips. To my surprise, despite being so cheap, they've been able to handle anything I throw at them. I may even just move these cards over to my next computer and put the 7800 back in this one. The only real bottleneck on my graphics capability now is my single core 939 processor.