Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Getting a Mac tomorrow.. GOT an iMac TODAY

6K views 80 replies 21 participants last post by  1 
#1 ·
:fuckyes:

#28 ·
I have actually. And ironically it's everything that people seem to think are exclusive to Windows machines :rofl:. I've had them crash on me for no apparent reason while I was doing work, I had one completely die on me, I'm still not sure what the hell happened to that thing. While I have had issues with Windows they've always been easily fixable.

#30 ·
Oh well. You clearly have an unlucky touch. My mac (which I'm currently typing on) has been in daily use (8+ hours) for the last three and a half years. It's still running OSX Tiger it came with and it hasn't crashed on me once. The only problem is Firefox and that's more due to my limited memory than anything.

To put that in perspective, my Windows laptop (which I owned for four months before it was nicked) crashed 8 times while I owned it. :lol:

#33 ·
Pay attention people, Apple sucks!!! They really do and smart people should continue to use Windows. That way I can enjoy the benefits of using an computer that I love the apps on, has too small a market share for hackers to waste their time with and that way Apple will keep going out of their way to improve Macs and Mac apps to try to lure gullible new customers. I'm just counting on the majority of people to be smarter than me and Apple so that I can continue to live in my little fantasy world. :lol:

#37 ·
I pretty much agree. I HOPE their market share doesn't grow, and I HOPE they remain tight and closed, because I think if they opened up their architecture to any old hardware, it would be as inconsistent as Windows machines are. And I also think that OS X isn't as secure as they make it out to be, so I don't want their market share to grow, thereby attracting unsavory malware developers to my platform of choice.

If anyone says "OS X is more secure because it's UNIX", I will iBitchslap them.

#44 ·
...meanwhile, Leon is just happy to be getting a new Mac.

I don't think I've seen a single thread here about computers that hasn't devolved into a heated Windows/Mac debate.

Computers are tools. I use whichever operating system is most appropriate for the task at hand. For daily portable use (email, writing code, papers, etc.), I use a MacBook Air with OS X. For production numerical work, I use the 8-core beast of a Linux workstation I built. For recording, writing drum tracks, etc., I use Windows at home.

#46 ·
I don't think I've seen a single thread here about computers that hasn't devolved into a heated Windows/Mac debate.
Yeah...that was the intent of my original post. :lol:

I dunno, I have a special place in my heart for watching Mac vs PC debates. :wub:

I haven't spent more than a total of an hour on a mac over the course of my life, so I really don't have much of an opinion one way or the other for the platform.

....but i'm pretty sure they suck! :woohoo:

#45 ·
Programs that IMO are SUPER useful for mac, and worth snagging pretty immediately

Dockspaces - lets you set up multiple docks to hotkeys, and even bind them to spaces if you want
Cinch - nice little window manager
smultron - better text editor
the unarchiver - better unpacker
dropbox - free cloud storage
cyberduck - ftp, s3, etc client
adium - multiIM
paintbrush - MSPaint type dealio

and the obvious guys, such as openoffice, vlc, vuze, and the such

#47 ·
#49 ·
I just pointed you to all the codecs you need and they are free. You are only saying what you are because you haven't downloaded those codecs. Never once has quicktime with those codecs crashed on me and I'm a fucking master at crashing shit with my limited RAM. On the other hand I've crashed VLC numerous times, I've had VLC tell me it is unable to play a file, I've had VLC play audio out of time and I've had random pixelation plenty of times with VLC. Plus VLC will not allow you to watch a video with quickview and it will not let you watch it in front row. VLC was necessary a couple of years back when the codec packs were limited and quicktime didn't work but now that you can get all the important codecs for quicktime it will play all files reliably all the time.

#50 ·
By the way I haven't needed it but if that still isn't all the codecs you need grab the Ultimate Codec pack, it contains the Codecs I listed above and a few hundred more in one package, still free.

EDIT: I take this back, I just googled this, I knew there was a reason I didn't grab it earlier, it contains a serial to update Quicktime to Quicktime pro, I don't do that shit and I do not trust P2P packages.

#52 ·
Even if you choose to keep using VLC you still need Perian and Flip4Mac, Flip4Mac lets you play Windows Media, it's slow but it is the only way to play windows media from a website and Perian will allow you to play the other filetypes from a website as well as allowing you to view them in quickview and frontrow. Truth be told I almost never open quicktime to watch videos, these days I usually just hit spacebar and watch them in quickview or sometimes open them in iTunes or Frontrow.

#55 ·
Just need to call the local (Ann Arbor, 45m away) Apple Store, to see what they've got in stock. If they have the 2.6GHz / 2g RAM / smaller HDD, I'll grab it. Don't need much HDD since I've got a 1TB external drive, and I'll be doing the RAM upgrades myself.

#56 ·
If you are buying it new you wont be doing the RAM upgrade yourself on a Mini, it's not a simple replace job like any other Mac. It cost me $40 here to have the RAM swapped by an Apple tech, it should cost you less over there and you wont break your Mini or void your warranty in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.