With the baby coming tomorrow, I thought I'd do something special for the kids by having a special "movie night" with just the four of us, before the hectic times ahead with a newborn.
So I borrowed an HD projector from work, set up one of my Rokus in the basement, moved the couch around, and used a couple old M-Audio monitors and woofer for sound.
Wow. It's pretty awesome having a movie that big, and even though it was an H.264 movie ripped from a DVD my mother in law bought us (Hop), it still looked great. Plex on Roku seems to upscale lower res content.
My thoughts are to get:
1. HD projector. Likely the Epson, because A. it's cheap, and B. that's what I borrowed so I already know what to expect
2. Another Roku. I love these damn boxes!
3. Some sort of cinema paint for the wall
4. A more permanent but reasonably priced speaker setup.
5. Monoprice projector mount
I watched Iron Man 2 last night, and seriously I do not have a big desire to go to a theater if I had something like this permanently. Granted the screen is obviously smaller, but when I'm only 8-10 feet away, it definitely has a theater feel to it.
Has anyone else tried this?
I don't want to immediately derail your thread, but your wife is due tomorrow? That's fucking awesome dude - congrats!