Has anybody totally switched to internet TV/Phone??

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody totally switched to internet TV/Phone??

ME: Revenger 7-1
    MA: Mitchell MD-100
    Rig: Crate GFX50 Two-Tone
    Steam: ElRay70K70H

Has anybody totally switched to internet TV/Phone??

We've realized that we really don't use +90% of the cable TV we're paying for. Has anybody totally dropped it for "internet based" viewing?

The stuff we do watch:
    • The Daily Show
    • PBS - Science & Kids Stuff
    • Science Channel
    • Discovery Channel
    • "On Demand" Kids stuff
    • "On Demand" "Included in the fees we're already paying" Feebies

We pretty much only watch the HD channels and rarely, if ever, schedule around a T.V. show. We really use Comcast's "On Demand" and find something when we're in the mood to just sit and chill.

I know there's NetFlix streaming and Hulu, but how do they fair? Last time I looked at Hulu, it seemed to be rather lacking in the Science/Discovery Channel-esque vein.

Regarding the internet phone, the service we get from the cable company is OK, but we have to reboot our modem every now and then because the outbound voice drops. I've heard complains about Vonage. We use Skype for work, so I'm familiar with that, but we're really not in a position to be totally dependent on the desktop (or our cells) for calls.

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
    PSN: CQ7String777

I would in a heartbeat if Comcast wasn't so shit-tastic with their packages. The only thing I watch on TV is the news, and for a million dollars I couldn't tell you what my home phone number is.

Rig: Transporter
    XBL: Meester Supaman

I canceled my cable almost 2 years ago I think. I mainly use the internet for tv now, though I do have an antennae that gets me a handful of HD channels for my television, but I mainly only use that for hockey.

I haven't owned a home phone in years.

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Bias Desktop
    Steam: Draggo42684

The only thing I use my TV for is watching DVD's and playing my XBox 360 however I would love to be able to watch TV on my computer.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

I pay a whopping $80/mo (taxes and all included) for pretty fast internet from Comcast, but absolutely no cable or phone. It's only like another 15 for basic digital cable, but I don't fucking want it.

I had to fight with the salesman on the phone for like 15 minutes to get him to cancel my cable. He thought I'd die of starvation if I didn't have the latest sports, sitcom and news programming. I told him I hadn't turned his box on in a year and he almost choked.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I haven't owned a television for around 4 years now. I don't watch much TV, and what I do is usually available on catch-up on the stations' websites.

My girlfriend took out a LoveFilm subscription recently, so we can watch the odd shit movie, but otherwise, all the free sources get me by.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto
    PSN: Seredays
    Steam: CSereday

Quote Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
    I pay a whopping $80/mo (taxes and all included) for pretty fast internet from Comcast, but absolutely no cable or phone. It's only like another 15 for basic digital cable, but I don't fucking want it.:
    I'm in the same boat. Its like %90 of the cable internet bill is for the internet, and just a little more gets me cable.
    Confront and Cry

ME: Swampcaster
    MA: Fender Sonoran
    MB: Squier P Bass
    Rig: None :(
    Steam: stringslingerofdoom

Roku and internet for me, cut my cable 2 years ago. Netflix and Hulu are plenty to watch when I have the time and way cheaper than comcast.

RHLC East Coast President