Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Thanks, VMWare

Tags
vmware
2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
Start cloning a VM at 1:30. (Automated by the pool creation process)
Completes 3 hours later.
Throws an error.
Deletes all the clones.
Sweet.

I'm having a bad technology day. :lol: Seriously, for the amount of money VMWare charges for their licensing, their product works like fucking shit.

See less See more
#10 ·
Surprisingly once you get SCVMM 2012 up and running it's mildly decent. Although the fact that it copies the ISO from the library to the local server the VM is on seems kind of idiotic to me.

The P2V works great, however. Don't even bother doing a V2V it'll take like 100 times longer.

#12 ·
Yeah MS doesn't support NFS at all. I haven't touched an iSCSI or FC setup with hyper-v though so I can't comment on that.

I put xenserver on one of my boxes the other days and you can mount ISO stores from NFS shares. That makes life a million times easier :yesway:

#20 ·
Seriously, whatever hairs I have left that aren't gray are going to be gone this week. :lol:

So I finally got my pools sorted out, and am re-deploying my finished test template. Everything seems to be going swimmingly and I'm starting to have faith in vMware again..

And then....

First, for whatever reason I think I'm running into storage i/o issues. My ESXi host is a 4-CPU/4-Cores-Each beast with 196GB of RAM and I'm only spinning up 5 VMs right now. It has a trunked 10GB connection to an iSCSI SAN. That should be fucking awesome for running 5 Win7 boxes, right?

Well, if I have 5 VMs on, it's no problem. But if I go to deploy a template, all 5 of them BSOD at once. This happened a few times, and I'm looking at my switch traffic (which is uber low), and then the ESXi host itself freezes.

A few reboots later, now it's up, but one of my iSCSI targets is missing. Go to re-add it, it adds, but instantly gets flagged as Dead. Of course, that LUN is where my fucking happy finished template is.

I am having a Bad Technology Week. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.