Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • noodles

Votes: 15 23.8%

Anyone buy/going to buy Windows 8?

5K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
I probably already know the answer but I was curious if anyone here was actually going to buy this steaming pile of shit :lol:

#2 ·
I'll probably give it a shot. I don't have anything against Windows, so I think it will be interesting to see what it's actually like for how I would personally use it, since most people use different platforms and devices drastically differently. I'm probably going to start off with one of the Surface tablets and go from there.

#7 ·
I jumped on the 7 bandwagon only because I was worried about being able to use new programs. Several years later, every program I purchase/download says it would run on Windows XP anyway. I'm assuming that will also be the case with 8.

#8 ·
Honestly who out there wants to use a fucking touchscreen for every day use with their PC. This is like the 3D movies of the PC world. It needs to just go away. Let fun little side gadgets like the iPad handle that.

I know you can still use a keyboard and mouse with Windows 8, but still. I have a couple of Mac products also and really enjoyed Snow Leopard, and when they switched to the new Mountain Lion thing it just got silly. If it aint broke, why fix it?

#10 ·
Honestly who out there wants to use a fucking touchscreen for every day use with their PC. This is like the 3D movies of the PC world. It needs to just go away. Let fun little side gadgets like the iPad handle that.

I know you can still use a keyboard and mouse with Windows 8, but still. I have a couple of Mac products also and really enjoyed Snow Leopard, and when they switched to the new Mountain Lion thing it just got silly. If it aint broke, why fix it?
Security in SL10.6 was broke, so they fixed it in 10.7 and more so in 10.8. The latter two are also faster, IME. And since the updates are cheap, why not?

#9 ·
I'm already running it at work on my utility box, because I have Technet. The UI sucks, vSphere Client doesn't work, AV doesn't work, access to EMC VNX doesn't work......lots of fun!
The only cool thing about it is the storage spaces and file history.

#12 ·
I will use my windows XP keys forever. I found them on old cases that were being thrown away so I'm not even a microsoft customer.

For things that aren't recording and video editing I will always use Ubuntu. If I'm not planning on doing those two things, I don't boot into windows.

#13 ·
Ive been using the preview for a few months and I love it.

At first I always ignored the new ui so I could use what I was familiar with but it has really grown on me.

I do have a touchscreen though so that could be a big part of why I like it. Everything just works and I haven't had a single crash and everythings boots & loads a lot faster than it did on 7.

Regarding touchscreens they are awesome for use in reaper for adjusting levels etc and accurate zooming and time placement.

I'll probably buy it over the next few weeks.

#14 ·
Hell no. I can't remember a Windows launch that didn't involve some new OS fuckery. And I'm not sold on this whole windows rehash thing. I've got a touchscreen for the guitar practice area for my main PC, but it hasn't left me wanting any special interface, works fine as is other than some spotty tracking. Besides, I love Win7 64 bit, favorite OS from them by far. Microsoft seems to be interested in being more like Apple. If I were Apple I would have taken advantage of this key time and headed straight for the hardcore DIY PC market.

#18 ·
:shrug: I'll give it a shot at some point, but only when I have at the very least a multi-touch input of some kind on my computer (not necessarily touch screen). I was fiddling with it at work and honestly rather like the interface - it's a bit of a pointless learning curve in a lot of ways, but it does work pretty well (from what I've seen thus far).

#19 ·
Fuck Win8. Installed it again last night at home, on a quad core box with 8GB of RAM, and for some reason stuff just hangs; I get the "Computer Not Responding" bullshit. Runs fine on Ubuntu 10.04. So 12.04 is going on it this morning.

That was quick.

#25 ·
I'm curious to check it out, and I WOULD like a touchscreen-enabled desktop. However, I probably won't bother to upgrade, and my next computer is likely to be a Mac, so...

#28 ·
Touchscreen desktops are retarded, and an ergonomic nightmare. Do you honestly want to be reaching out and touching the screen to do shit? The only time I think it would be cool is if you had a 20+ all in one that laid on the desktop at a slight angle. I know someone actually makes one like that, and it's the only time I've thought a touchscreen desktop made any amount of sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.