Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Why? Just.. Why? (Jeff will understand...)

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
So I made an exception for a guy that needed to create a VM on my cluster when I wasn't available... This is why software engineers can't have nice things.

See less See more
#9 ·
The guy provisions the max amount for a vmdk for that? :lol:

And yes, NFS is the only way to fly these days for ESXi, IMO. Makes my life ten times easier.

EMC VNX shit isn't cheap, but I've got so much resiliency (knock on wood) that I'm way more comfy than I was 3 years ago.

#16 ·
In case this happens to one of you guys... Here's how to resize the thing, it might save you some time down the road. This is for RHEL but should work on any Linux flavor.

- Boot from the CD into rescue mode
- Make sure you select the option NOT to mount the drives
- Discover and activate all volumes
--lvm vgscan
--lvm vgchange ay
- fsck the volume you plan to resize
--e2fsck /f /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 (00 = your volume numbers)
-lvm lvresize /dev/VolGroup00 60GB (change the size to whatever)
-resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Then reboot and power on the VM. Make sure it works, then use Converter to connect to it as a standard powered on machine (not an Infrastructure machine). You'll need to start the sshd service and edit sshd_conf to make sure that the user your connecting to has root privs with no sudo restriction if it's ubuntu - otherwise just connect to it as root from the converter and make sure that root and wheel groups are flagged in the AllowGroups setting. I had to completely disable SELinux and the system firewall as well in order for VCS to connect.

Run through Converter, edit the LVM volume size at the end, kick off the job and that's it. :yesway:

Edit: Then re-enable all of the security shit you had to disable to get VCS to connect. ;)

#18 ·
Can't you just boot from a GParted ISO and shrink the partition, then re-adjust the vmdk? Never tried it in reverse, but I regularly had to do this for a dev that A. refused to let me install VMTools on his Linux dev machines, and B. constantly underestimated the amount of disk space he needed.

#22 ·
I've never tried shrinking an LVM volume with Fusion, so no idea. You can resize most filesystems relatively easily with Enterprise, just not in this instance.

Note: in VM-world, shrink vs resize are two different things. Shrinking (in reference to a vmdk) in VMware is more akin to a reclaim process, it doesn't change partition sizes. /nitpick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.