Metal Guitarist Forums banner

WTF WINDOWS

Tags
windows wtf
2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
For no reason, my Windows has suddenly changed from the XP Home style login screen and being able to switch users... to the XP Pro style dialog box login, and I can't switch users anymore (just lock the computer). Then, Superior asked me to reactivate because my computer ID had changed.. then Windows asked me to reactivate because something happened? It won't tell me what. But all I did is install a firewire card... like two weeks ago.

WTF! What's going on and how I can I fix this? Superior can only be reactivated three times.. and Windows, this comp is custom built and only god knows where my XP manual is, so I can't even reactivate it now I don't think.

Does vista still suck or should I finally update to it? or should I just buy a new XP key from Microsoft for $130 :lol:

#2 ·
xp pro doesn't default to the login box, thats an optional thing... though i can't find anything that tells you how to get it back, i'm not sure what search terms to use. also, you might try going to control panel, and administrative tools, and services, and making sure fast user switching is enabled and running.

#4 ·
For some reason, XP does that sometimes when it updates. At least it does it to me. Mess with the User Accounts control panel. If Superior thinks you're on another computer, maybe you're logged in as a different user. I still haven't figured out how to remove the option that makes Ctl+Alt+Delete bring up the "Windows Security" window instead of the task manager, though.

#7 ·
Well I fixed that part now. I went to that screen and it said a recently installed program had changed that setting, turned out to be the latest version of the console for my D-Link wireless N adapter.. the console sucks balls anyway and the Windows one is 10,000 times more convenient and stable. So that is fixed. But my computer still wants me to activate :(

#8 ·
NEVER install the software that comes with a wireless adapter, especially if it is by LinkSys. It seriously fucks your configuration up. Simply plug it in, allow Windows to discover the device, and then let it install the driver from the software CD that came with the adapter. All it needs is the driver, and the Windows wireless networking package will do the rest for you.

#10 ·
Ever since I updated to the latest driver, my wireless card has been dropping on a regular basis which is annoying as fuck. Plus, it still completely fucks whatever you have it connected to.. not sure if bus is the right word. But if you plug a Wireless N antenna into a USB port, then all your USB devices will freeze every 5-10 seconds even after a driver update (before I updated the drivers, the whole computer would freeze). If you plug a PCI card in, then all your PCI cards get fucked. To do any recording at all, I ave to disable my internet. Wireless N *SUCKS*

#9 ·
Actually, speaking of Windows weirding out...this morning I turned my laptop on and instead of the funky-cool black-and-orange zune theme that I downloaded for it, it had reverted back to the horrible, tacky blue XP theme...and I have no idea why :lol:

Ah well, changed it back...but seemed weird that it changed by itself :scratch:

#11 ·
No, LinkSys sucks. All of their shit is buggy as hell. Every try to get a PS3 to work with one of their routers? It drops every other computer in the house. :wallbash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.