Anyone know 3d modeling?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Anyone know 3d modeling?

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

Anyone know 3d modeling?

I posted about this on my facebook and didn't get much response, so I thought I'd do the same here.

Our school has a new tech facility with a 3d printing maker-space. I don't know the details yet because it just opened, but I have something I want to print. The problem is that I don't know how to make a 3d model, or what the standard 3d printing format is. I think the thing I want printed is fairly simple; I just don't know a single thing about modeling.

Is there anyone here that would know how to take an image and assign 3d variables to it? I'm willing to pay someone if it's a reasonable amount. For those curious, I want to just want to take the Sigillum Dei ( The Sigil of Ameth - Norton's Imperium ) and make it into a disc about 9" across and .5"-.75" thick, with all of the characters and geometric shapes either etched or raised on the top of the disk, whichever is easiest. I have a fairly high-res image of the sigil to use, but if need be I can draw and create a higher res image.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

A Stereolithography file (.stl) is the standard for most 3D printers. There are some image-to-STL converters out there.

2D Image to STL Converter (Windows) by BloodBlight - Thingiverse

STL Fun: Converting Images To STL Geometry

Awesome! I'll check those out when I get home today.

XBL: NotBenLayton

I major in Game Design so 3D modeling has become what I've had to live and breathe for the past ...6 months, and will continue for another 12 or so, but I haven't had any sort of experience with taking pre-existing images and assigning variables to them.

Well I suppose it could be done from scratch but it would be the biggest bitch in the world

ME: oni
    MA: the spoons
    MB: warwick thumb
    Rig: mi megalith

I spent a few years in industrial design before I moved to film fx.

I've printed several things, and had a couple of things machined also - the processes are totally different - but thats another story.

What you are suggesting is probably going to far better achieved using some other method, simply put, 3d printing that design big enough for the details to not turn into porridge makes no sense when there's other ways of doing it. With your design you could very easily turn that into vectors automatically and use all manner of cheaper options - even lazer etching would do it. You will end up with a better result and it will cost several times less. However what you are describing might not be do-able that way if you want a ton of variation in the raised and lowered sections.

The biggest problem with 3d printing is that the design must adhere to different standards depending on the material used, which also dictates how much detail is retained - this material is costly. Also its often necessary to have support structures built into your model - however there's various tools that do this for you now, and its not going to be entirely necessary on your design. Most people I've worked with who have had stuff 3d printed have ended up quite dissapointed with the finish - it can be pretty rough. The cost of the material for a 9 inch wide .5 inch thick disk might shock you.

The stl converters are using the image as a displacement map, its nothing fancy - but certainly useful. best thing is to ask the people at your college about specifics regarding the 3d printer they have, and any restrictions, if you still want to do it, hit me up and I can very quickly make an stl file for you.