My Galaxy Nexus was starting to have hardware problems and was laggy as hell, so I decided it was time for a new phone. After comparing all the Android options, I ended up with the LG G2.

Since Verizon is my current provider and has the best signal here in DC, the Nexus 5 wasn't an option, even though it's much the same phone but with vanilla Android. However, it's worth noting that the G2 has a bigger battery and a better camera than the Nexus 5.

I've been happy so far. LG's UI is a bit overdone, but it's not nearly as bad as some reviews have made it out to be. I like some of the LG-specific features, such as LG's keyboard having the numbers and letters on the same page. I'll end up stripping down the UI a bit, no doubt, but part of the fun of Android is customizing it.

One really nice feature is the "knock on/knock off" thing, where you turn the phone on/off by double tapping on the screen. LG put the power button on the back in order to make the bezel thinner, so it's convenient to have the tap feature.

I hadn't realized low laggy and out-of-date my GNex was until I started using the G2, which has the same 4.2.2 version of Android that my GNex did. There's absolutely no lag or hesitation on the G2, and the screen kicks ass. LG has a bad reputation for not updating their FW in a timely fashion, but it won't kill me if 4.4 doesn't arrive on my phone right away.

As for the camera, here's a test photo I took of my son making a royal mess of lunch. It's a testament to my limited skills, but the G2 seems to handle weird lighting conditions (being right next to a window, in this case) better than the GNex did.