Google Fiber (and home networking help)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber (and home networking help)

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?
    XBL: AdamBath
    Steam: adam.bath

Google Fiber (and home networking help)

Just got Google Fiber a week or so ago. It's fucking fast, at least on my Wireless AC devices. Best I've gotten so far is on my work laptop:

Not too shabby for WiFi. My file server is also my media PC for my bedroom, so it can't be connected directly to the Google Fiber box which is on the ground floor. I tried TP Link's AV1200 powerline ethernet, connected directly to the wall sockets, and my upstairs PC says it's connected at 1 gigabit, however I'm only seeing speeds of 100mbit/sec up and down from that computer (using Cat 6 cable on both sides of the powerline adapter). I've never run wires through the house, and I'm a little afraid to try. Is there any Linux compatible Wireless AC adapter I should look at to get better speeds up there? Or does anyone have any good reading material online about running a Cat 6 cable around two floors? There is an ethernet adapter on the wall behind the media PC, but it's connected to another port that's on the same floor, that I think was utilized for the previous owners satellite dish. There are no other ethernet ports in the house.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

Either get a wireless bridge, or run the cable. Wireless adapters on Linux generally suck, even if there's actually a driver for them.

I've got an Asus RT-AC68U wireless AC router I don't need I could use as a bridge. I'll give that a go.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Steam: Paris Hilton

If that doesn't work, can you get a new home?

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2
    PSN: JJ_Rodriguez

Do you have an unfinished basement, or an attic you could use to run cables? I wired up my home with jacks and it's not really that hard or expensive, provided you have decent access to one of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
    Do you have an unfinished basement, or an attic you could use to run cables? I wired up my home with jacks and it's not really that hard or expensive, provided you have decent access to one of the above.
    I wish we had basements in Texas! We've got an attic with an access hole on the 2nd floor, but i'm just unsure about going from floor 1 to floor 2 to the attic...

Steam: Paris Hilton

Anyone know anything about On-Q systems?

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2
    PSN: JJ_Rodriguez

Floor 2 to the attic is easy, 6 foot (or longer) flexible drill bit, cut your hole in the drywall for your jack, drill up, get a cable fishing tape, pull your cable. To go from floor 1 to the attic I guess you could go directly beneath where you did that on floor 2, do the same, and hop up that way. I've never done that as I have an unfinished basement so I drilled down and ran it along the rafters.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience can give a better explanation, that's how I think it would work. You could cut multiple holes and patch the drywall when you're all finished, but if wireless is working for you and meets all your needs then I guess there's no point, I just liked having the jack for all the shit in my living room.