The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority           Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! MG on YouTube MG on Google+ MG on Pinterest MG Soundcloud Group 
Register Gallery Merch Patches Forums Home
Computers, Electronics, Gaming & IT Building a new recording rig, breaking your Linux distro or stuck on your XBox game? This is the forum for you.

Microsoft Unveils Windows 8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #57

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

Member Number: 1
Home: Boston, MA
ME: Suhr / Carvin
MA: Martin DC-1E
MB: Warwick Corvette
Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
37,089 Posts
Gallery: 237
XBL: CQ7String777
Battle.net: Seventh#1145
Thanked 11,489 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
No one's forcing you to use it though. I had to think what you were even talking about when you mentioned Launchpad, because it's gone from my dock. Mission Control kicks ass though, since I've regularly got no less than 4 to 5 virtual desktops running at any given time.
Oh, I know. But taken in concept (that they pegged it as a SWEET NEW OSSUM FEATURE), plus the IOS-style scrollbars (which suck), I just don't like that direction. I do like AirDrop a lot though, it's so fucking handy. (Conversation for a different thread either way).

In Win8, they aren't forcing anyone to use their stupid widget-desktop either. The thing is, they're putting dev time into it. XP in the Classic theme is nice and clean. With 7, even if you disable Aero it still gets all over-helpful. I hate the way it manages the system tray, and the pinning thing that's trying to be like the OSX dock and failling.

I absolutely hate the shit out of 7. Everything about it fucking sucks. Seriously, give me XP SP4 and I'll be happy. A spiffy UI is only cool if you have the option of turning all of the extra graphical shit off.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #58

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

37,089 Posts

Quote:
2. Well our "professional media guy" loves FCP, and it's still pretty much the industry standard for lower budget video and film editing, until you get into the higher end Avid stuff. It's a great app. Yeah, the new version is half-baked, which is why they listened to their customers and made the old version available again for the time being. What other company does that? Not a lot.
All the media guys I work with rave about FCP as well, but they basically say that the learning curve on it is pretty steep. I have it on a work machine and I can't do anything with it that I can't do in iMovie. There are a bajillion options, and I can't figure out a damn one of them.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #59

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

37,089 Posts

Also, try connecting to a Samba share with Win7 sometime if the samba server isn't on the same domain as the 7 box.

With XP, you'd get a login, and the option to actually put in sambaserver\username. With 7, you have to tap dance around it, because it wants to force your domain\username at it. It's giving me all sorts of heartburn at work because one of my servers runs an old version of Debian, and all of the account names are lowercase. All of our new machines at work are made with usernames in all caps. Windows doesn't care, but in linux, JSMITH is different than JSmith or jsmith. So I have these 7 boxes forcing DOMAIN\JSMITH, when the samba login is server\jsmith. You'd think it'd be a simple "type the linux domain in the login window" but oh no, not by a long shot.

I have to delete every net connection, and establish the handshake from a command prompt (net use), and that only works if I create an all-caps version of their account in smbpasswd. It's fucking stupid, just like the rest of 7.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #60

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   Facebook

Turkeys hate A7X

Member Number: 79
Home: IL
ME: JS2000/Warmoth
MA: Seagull S6
MB: Ibanez SRC6
Rig: Mesa ROV25+Mesa Cab
14,769 Posts
Gallery: 0
Steam: macwinuxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All the media guys I work with rave about FCP as well, but they basically say that the learning curve on it is pretty steep. I have it on a work machine and I can't do anything with it that I can't do in iMovie. There are a bajillion options, and I can't figure out a damn one of them.
Oh, it is definitely steep, as Logic can be too. But I think it's definitely worth it, coming from an Avid system, which sucks dick (in that price range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Also, try connecting to a Samba share with Win7 sometime if the samba server isn't on the same domain as the 7 box.

With XP, you'd get a login, and the option to actually put in sambaserver\username. With 7, you have to tap dance around it, because it wants to force your domain\username at it. It's giving me all sorts of heartburn at work because one of my servers runs an old version of Debian, and all of the account names are lowercase. All of our new machines at work are made with usernames in all caps. Windows doesn't care, but in linux, JSMITH is different than JSmith or jsmith. So I have these 7 boxes forcing DOMAIN\JSMITH, when the samba login is server\jsmith. You'd think it'd be a simple "type the linux domain in the login window" but oh no, not by a long shot.

I have to delete every net connection, and establish the handshake from a command prompt (net use), and that only works if I create an all-caps version of their account in smbpasswd. It's fucking stupid, just like the rest of 7.
Our Linux Samba boxes are all joined to the domain, because I fucking gave up on that shit. That might not be ideal for you though, depending on the situation. You shouldn't have to do it though.
Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #61

Send PM    Add to friends      MySpace   Facebook

MG.ORG Irregular

Member Number: 27
Home: Virginia Beach, USA
ME: ESP Maverick
MB: ESP Horizon 5
Rig: Randall V2
8,796 Posts
XBL: yuecchi
PSN: enthauptet
Steam: enthauptet
Battle.net: enthauptet#1327

Quote:
1. The App Store is actually pretty damn cool, because when there are updates, it tells you, and they all do it in one shot. There's no difference between an App Store app and one obtained separately, except that the App Store version is updated a lot better. If you hate the App Store, you must also hate BSD trees and Linux repository systems, because the App Store is just a commercialized version. But hey, if you want to update everything separately, and have to manage different accounts on a shit-ton of separate sites, have at it.

2. Well our "professional media guy" loves FCP, and it's still pretty much the industry standard for lower budget video and film editing, until you get into the higher end Avid stuff. It's a great app. Yeah, the new version is half-baked, which is why they listened to their customers and made the old version available again for the time being. What other company does that? Not a lot.
I didn't realize the app store had actual programs in it and not IOS bullshit. In that case it is pretty cool Also this guy has a old mega-bucks SGI Avid rig at his house so yeah
Kagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #62

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

37,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
I didn't realize the app store had actual programs in it and not IOS bullshit. In that case it is pretty cool Also this guy has a old mega-bucks SGI Avid rig at his house so yeah
So you chimed in h8ing on Apple without actually knowing what you're talking about?

HAS ADAM HAX'T YOUR ACCOUNT?!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #63

Send PM    Add to friends   

'merica

Member Number: 45
Home: Fredericksburg, VA
ME: Frankencaster
MA: Alvarez
MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2
10,544 Posts
XBL: zepp10
Steam: zepp88
Minecraft: zepp88
Battle.net: LesterTarkin#1792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
The problem with Window is, there are just a lot of dumbasses that use it. And by that I mean people that are just not too smart with computers, not "Windows users are dumbasses". I can see where that can be misconstrued.

I think if you can get your head around most computer things, it's not that hard to use Windows in a stable environment.

I have 1 box running Win7 Pro, and three laptops running Win XP Pro, pretty much all on 24/7.

I have no issues.

I have to go help my friends de-virus their eMachines all the time, because they peruse questionable websites with IE7 and click "Your Computer Is Infected! Click here to download a diagnostic!".

I think a generally computer savvy user doesn't have a lot of issues with Windows.
Would you believe that people hate Windows because they are computer savvy
zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #64

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   Facebook

Turkeys hate A7X

Member Number: 79
Home: IL
ME: JS2000/Warmoth
MA: Seagull S6
MB: Ibanez SRC6
Rig: Mesa ROV25+Mesa Cab
14,769 Posts
Steam: macwinuxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
I thought you have a Mac? Yeah it's regular apps. Final Cut Pro (new version), Aperture, all iLife apps, Adobe Photoshop Elements, AutoCAD 2012 LT, OmniGraffle, ClamXAV, tons of games (Call of Duty, SW games), utility apps, social media apps, etc.
Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, unveils, windows

Related Products Discussed In This Thread