Ron Jarzombek = The Man

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Jarzombek = The Man

Ron Jarzombek = The Man

Not sure if you wanna leave this in General Music or move it to the General Discussion

I know DDDorian posted a link to the Home Depot Challenge over here so you guys could have an idea of what it was. Well my newly redesigned guitar looked like one that Ron Jarzombek built back during his Watchtower days, so what better to do then e-mail the man himself about this guitar! No, this wasn't like I called him up out of the blue like someone did to Dallas, he has his e-mail on his site so you can contact him. And believe it or not Ron actually wrote back! Conversation is as followed :

Hello Ron,

I was wondering if you could answer a question about the travel guitar you made for when you went to Europe with Watchtower; the one that you brought over and then assembled it in Europe. One of the sites I actively participate in is ( having a guitar build off and I'm trying to do something very un-traditional and the final design came out looking alot like the travel guitar. The one issue that I'm facing right now with this is the possibility of neck dive.

I noticed in the picture for Stage Time magazine that you're strap button was somewhere around the 18-20th fret area, so does that mean you built it with an enormous neck pocket and then had the other strap button directly under the tremolo so it would balance out or did you just use the Jarzombek magic and it never had any deck dive issues?

Thanks for your help in this matter, and can't wait to hear any new music
    And in what I never expected to come back :

It's been quite a while since I played that guitar, but as I remember I did have to press a bit harder with my right forearm onto the body so that the guitar wouldn't be too neck heavy.

I just pulled the body out of the garage, and the strap button hole in the back is right behind the bridge (as is usually is) and the front strap button was mounted on the back of the metal plate that holds the 4 screws attaching the neck. Try to find the lightest machine heads you can, because that's where the weight of the neck actually comes from. Ther wood itself barely weighs anything. An idea for your guitar would be to get a Steinberger type bridge to avoid having machine heads at the end of the neck.

There was another e-mail exchanged in between but there's nothing really important in it, and he then sent me another one with this helpful info that I didn't even think of

Good luck. FYI whenever I build a new gtr, I make a prototype first just to check things out. It saves time from sanding the gtr until it's perfect, cutting perfect edges, etc... YOu should make sure it's the right size, its cool when playing standing up, when playing sitting down, no points are sticking out hitting you or anything else, etc...

Send me a pic when you get that thing done.

I've met some of my idols in person and talked with them in stuff and that's usually after shows but this is on a whole new level of being dedicated to your fans

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

That's awesome!

Someone ought to invite him to enter that contest!
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

That's very very very very cool.

My band's drummer just gave me a mix CD on Sunday that has two or three Spastic Ink tracks on it.

Most guys wouldn't even respond, especially not that thoroughly. Totally awesome.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Wow, all that talent, and a nice guy to boot.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

Ron is a very cool dude. Watchtower is playing KIT next year too... I think I might have to go back to Germany!

Seriously, now I have to make this guitar kick ass if not only for myself but for all the help Ron gave me.

I wish I had gotten into Watchtower earlier, when I first listened to it I found it to be too different from Spastic Ink but after a few times over - Control and Resistance is one of my favorite albums

Ron's a top guy - seems that he's only too keen to answer queries on the forums or via email and on top of all that he's a totally killer player.

He's currently working on an instructional DVD and has built a couple of guitars especially for the project:

Sleep, and I'll steal your silver
    Dream, and I'll steal your soul

ME: PRS / Gibson
    MA: Yamaha
    MB: Jazz 6-string
    Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w

Ron is such a great guy & talented player. When Blotted Science came out, I bought the Cd & asked if he would autograph it. It arrived w/ a big white marker autograph signed "XOXO Ron."