Metal Guitarist Forums banner

So I'm listening to the new Dream Theater....

8K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
and I'm not sure what to think. I like some of it and the rest bores me which is pretty much how I've felt about the last 4 or 5 albums. I think TOT is about the only album that I've really enjoyed this decade.
Does anyone else think it's time for the Portnoy and Petrucci production team to take a rest and maybe hire an outside producer for the next album? I think it's time for some new ideas. These songs have been getting stale for a while and these two can't be helping by producing everything. And another thing, does Portnoy have to sing on every song now????
As I'm typing this I'm realizing this is turning into a rant more than just a simple post about my thoughts on the new album, so I guess I'll continue on.....
I think Jordan is a nice guy and a great talent, but I don't like him in DT. I never really have. I think if he's going to keep using that hybrid synth/guitar sound, just get another guitar player. I'm sick of his solo's and his sound selections, especially that pacman sound he uses way too often. And finally, James Labrie, what I can say? His voice just annoys the shit out of me. I don't think I'm alone with that opinion either. I used to really like his voice in the old days and maybe that's because the material from the early 90's fit his style more, but now I just can't stand hearing him.

Obviously, they're doing fine. They continue to be huge progressive metal band and can play good sized venues and do quite well with record sales, so they must be doing something right. For me though, I'll stick with WDADU, I&W and Awake as the real DT sound. :rant:

Sorry for wasting your time with this useless banter. :eek:

See less See more
#7 ·
I find myself skipping a lot of more recent DT stuff halfway through a song because I get bored. Also, I 100% agree with you on the synth/guitar effect that Rudess uses, it sounds abysmal.

I liked Scenes From A Memory, there was a lot of good stuff on there :yesway:

#8 ·
DT + Kevin Moore = greater than sum of parts. I've not liked what either have done since then.

#10 ·
If you exclude the first Chroma Key album, "Dead Air for Radios," and the two OSI (actually, three, now) albums from that, then yeah. "Dead Air" is just a masterpeice, though (think of it as an anti-DT album more than a departure).

That said, I seem to be the only guy here (other than Vince :wub:) who actually liked Falling Into Infinity. :shrug:

EDIT - hell, even SFaM was more "interesting," "well thought out," and "inspiringly executed" than it was consistently musically enjoyable and otherwise kickass for me. It certainly had some incredible moments, but also a lot of stuff that it could have done without (Dance of Eternity, the outro of "Home," etc) that seemed more about showing off complex arrangements than about making kickass music.

#9 ·
Yeah, the main thing that bugs me about the newer DT stuff is that every song has about 3-4 minutes of actual content, and then the rest of it is just everyone taking their "required" solo. I love solos, but only when they add to the song, not when they're in there just as a place for widdling and wanking to occur.

#11 ·
See, this is where we disagree. I despise everything Chroma Key has ever done, and OSI is just fucking boring to me.

#12 ·
I'd have thought you'd liked the first OSI solely for its political content, Dave. Some of those Dan Rather soundclips are terrifying.

And Chroma Key? Have you heard Dead Air for Radios? Or are you basing that on some of his later, less-cool projects?

#15 ·
I'd have thought you'd liked the first OSI solely for its political content, Dave. Some of those Dan Rather soundclips are terrifying.

And Chroma Key? Have you heard Dead Air for Radios? Or are you basing that on some of his later, less-cool projects?
No, I've heard it all, and it didn't do it for me. It's just...boring. And I hate his voice.

It also doesn't help that my last band's first drummer's roommate listened to Chroma Key all the time. Like, non-stop. He would even come to parties and slip it in the CD player when no one was watching. I never, ever, ever, ever need to hear that shit again.

#19 ·
That would be because it's not really a "full" release. ;) I love the song (and it was written when Kevin was still in the band), and the covers are OK, but Derek was a horrid fit for the band, and I have no idea where their heads went for the next disc, which has 3 decent songs on it (and one awesome Doug Pinnick vocal performance). ;)

#14 ·
I've always considered LaBrie's voice to be thin, his recent download performance *and* the new songs not helping his cause. These days, he sounds far too nasal for music as heavy (or what could be heavy) as DT's. Could they give him the boot and replace him with another singer? I dunno. It might alienate their fanbase, but then again, it might convince the nay-sayers that their music is worth listening to. A full bodied, strong singer might help in this quest.

#37 ·
"hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony..."

Man I just have to disagree with a lot of you guys on this one. I LOVE the new album. I just don't know how you can listen to "A Nightmare to Remember" or "Wither" or "The Best of Times" and not just be struck by their magic. Yeah "The Shattered Fortress" is just rehashing Portnoy's AA songs (the best of which is clearly the first, The Glass Prison), but this album sounds and feels much more like Awake to me than any of their discs recently.

For me, I loved I&W and Awake, but I&W just hasn't aged well for me, too 80s sounding I think. I still love the songs, but I cringe at some of their sounds they used, for example the keyboards on Surrounded, or the sax on Another day. FII had some of their best songs even though it wasn't too complex, I still love that album for Hollow Years, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears, Anna Lee, etc. I wish it could've worked for them with Derek Sherinian because I think he had the best keyboard sounds of any of their keyboardists.

The last decade, their albums have taken some time to really grow on me. I loved Octavarium right off the bat, but Train of Thought and 6 degrees took a while for me to get into them, but now I love them, especially 6 degrees. Solitary Shell is just beautiful, and The Glass Prison and the Great Debate are just incredible heavy songs.

I didn't like Systematic Chaos. I thought they lost their ability to have hooks in songs and make them listenable. It was progressive, but an absolute abortion of an album IMO. I try to forget it was made :)

This new one clearly makes up for it. My wife bought me tickets to see them out in LA in August, and I can't wait to go. I love songs, not just musicianship but great meaningful songs. DT has always hit me emotionally just the right way with their lyrics and how LaBrie sings them. For me, when they're on, they're really on. I absolutely love their new album and it's gonna be an absolute blast to see them live again.

#42 ·
So far I'm really enjoying it, although Mike Portnoy's 12 Step cycle got tedious several albums ago. Wither and A Rite of Passage are especially cool.

#48 ·
My issues with DT aren't so much to do about them sounding dated, but rather more to do with the material in general that has been released over the last ten years or so. SFAM had its moments and some very memorable DT highlights, but as I look back at the material as a whole from 2000 and on, it's just not holding up to the early 90's material, IMO. I almost wish they would take a break from popping out a new album every 1.5 to 2 years so that maybe they can get some new ideas and try a new direction. This is where bands like Rush have always impressed me. They never stayed in one area too long and they were always willing to try something different and not always for the better I should add, but change nonetheless. Maybe it's just a combination of the things right now that turn me off from the band. As I've said, Jordan just doesn't do it for me anymore and Labrie gets on my nerves. I really feel that they need to bring in an outside producer for the next album to shake things up. The songs and direction are getting very stale and they need someone to push them to get out of the comfort zone they're in. Just my thoughts. :shrug:

#54 ·
As I've said, Jordan just doesn't do it for me anymore and Labrie gets on my nerves.
you've mentioned this, and i dont quite get how jordan doesnt fit the band. hes amazingly good and i think he fits right in. I know you mentioned you didnt like his guitar like solos, but honostly, theres not a lot of keyboard players out there that do that, or can even attempt that, its different.

and christ portnoy, i cringe evertime your fucking singing

#49 ·
That comfort zone makes them a very nice living.

They're in a weird position, because I don't think they have so much money that they can just afford to go off on wild experiments with DT--that's what they have the side projects for. Soon, though, I think their conservatism will start to impact the business they do. There's a bit of a fine line, I suppose.

#50 ·
That comfort zone makes them a very nice living.
I do agree with that and I'm just speaking from a purely selfish standpoint. I also feel that they wouldn't be at this level of making nice living if it wasn't for I&W and more specifically Pull Me Under.

#53 ·
I like it. It's not ground breaking material , but for me it's definitely enjoyable.
I don't pine for the old DT (I could give a shit, really), I like progressive technical metal , and they always deliver fun stuff to jam to and listen to.
Labries' voice can really get on my nerves (not as much as Portnoy, could someone please f'n gag him once in a while) he so much wants to be like Roger Taylor from queen.
It's laughable. but then when Labrie sings "non metal" song I think he sounds great.
the Queen covers are quite good (nice choices there too).
Plus I like to hear how the riffs that originally came thru rectos sound thru his marks
(I love how they go into "this dying soul" at 3:30 of "this shattered Fortress".
I am also an big TOT fan so that "vein" of their music suites me just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.