Opeth's cover of "Jazz Odyssey"

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Opeth's cover of "Jazz Odyssey"

Opeth's cover of "Jazz Odyssey"

The Story:

Yes, what that headline means is basically "code" for fucking up during a show, which is what happened to us yesterday at the Summerbreeze festival.

I guess we'll be able to laugh about this in a few years. Or maybe not. Horrible, and embarrassing it was I tell you.

Everything was perfect, set for a fantastic show. We're headlining the whole event and right before we went on stage we're pumped. Really! Crowd was screaming, going crazy, and as the intro started running....yes, magic in the air!

Walking on stage, I was blown away by the amount of people there. It looked as if the every people at the fest was there to see us. Amazing! Very powerful sight indeed.

Then as we go into "Heir apparent" I notice the following:
    1: My stage sound is horrible, 2: Why can't I hear Fredrik and 3: What the fuck!?
    I start nodding to our monitor guy to get Fredriks guitar up. Then I kinda glance over to Fred to see what's up. Now, I see our guitar tech running around like a monkey around Fred's amp. It's fucked up. His guitar is not even there. It's dead silent! Fuck! Normally I start fast-forwarding the song in my head to see if he has any breaks on his own...stuff I might have to play instead, while also trying to play good and remember the lyrics. Fuck...Yes, there's a part he plays on his own! Gahhhh! For some reason his guitar kicks in for that part (which is clean guitar) and then cuts out again as the distortion comes back on. Fuck!

The whole song is done with only my guitar and by now we've lost the plot. I virtually wanna walk off stage. But we hang in there. Unfortinately....

Sometime before "Ghost" we play a impromtu version of "Soldier of fortune" only that there's no guitars (since we have the open tuning guitars on us), there's no bass (Mendez forgot the song) and overall it's...not...good! There's also some strange funk jam between Mendez and Axe going on which is absolutely horrible since they can't hear eachother at all. Sounds like they're playing a "groove" on their own. But...it doesn't groove.

I believe there was a desperate drum stick dropping drum solo somewhere as well.

Next song "Ghost of perdition" is done with some fucking shit sound the managed to get through Fred's amp and the song sounds horrrible and loose from start to finish. Shit. Fuck, Cunt. Fuck!

After this abomination of a version Fred leans over and says, "talk some shit, I'll be up and running properly soon". So I talk some shit, then goes into a half-assed version of "Harvest" asking the crowd to sing. Now, all of a sudden we're faced with the following: No-one's singing. Couldn't they hear me? They don't know the words? They wanna see me sweat? So it's basically a (horrible) instrumental version of the song which kinda falls apart after a verse and a chorus, to little or no applause I might add. Gulp! I'm not sure whether the 30.000 people out there hates us by now or what. I just wanna get done and go home! Haha!

To be honest, round about now we start gluing things back together and the remaining part of the set goes back to "normal" more or less, only that I guess our faces look disillusioned and "sad" haha! Anyways, the crowd slowly gets back into it and by the end it's....nice, I guess.

We had people coming up to us and say it was great, fantastic. I've no idea but it's the single most embarrassing show we've done with this line-up so far. We always "deliver" but this time technical problems had us looking like wankers. So basically we just wanna say sorry to the fans who saw us there expecting ( and rightfully so) a professional show. It wasn't, but as I said, maybe we'll laugh about it in....200 years.

The town/village where we had our hotel was absolutely stunning by the way. Dinkelsbuhl was the name of that town and I suggest you visit. Beautiful!

Anyways, we just got back home. The cabdriver who drove us was drunk and probably had the swinflu. Anyways, we'll crawl back under the rocks to lick our wounds, so hopefully we'll be back on form for the next show which is on Thursday...in Belgium I believe. Mussels and Duvel here we come!

Take care my friends and wipe that smirk of yer faces will ya? I know you think the above was funny....

The Video
    [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6fPyLMHm4]YouTube - Opeth Jam - Summer Breeze 2009[/VIDEO]

"on the bass....Martin Mendez....he wrote this"

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

I can totally identify with that all. I'm sure just about every gigging band has had at least one show like that. The worst show I ever had that was no one's fault in the band, I couldn't hear my own vocals, couldn't hear the other guitarist's guitar, couldn't hear the bass, and the only thing I COULD hear was my own guitar and the muffled sounds of the drums. Someone had filmed some of it and when I looked at it in horror later, I could hear the vocals, bass, both guitars at the same volume, and the drums. I can only assume that the house speakers' balance was good and the monitors were pure shit. The other guitarist told me afterwards that he couldn't hear my guitar at all either. Or how about your guitar going wildly out of tune in the middle of a song! Or your strap falling off during a solo!

ME: Fender Jazz V
    Rig: Ampeg SVT 4 Pro

Somewhere out there is footage of me from about 15 years ago slamming my bass down and storming off stage in a rage. The drummer kept running out of talent and would stop playing in the middle of every song. This wasn't a monitor issue or anything as he had a habit of doing this with his excuse always being "I couldn't hear anything". That didn't fly anymore as we had been playing the same damn songs several times a week for six months straight at that point and I had had enough.

In hind sight the video was quite comical. Especially since there really wasn't all that many people in attendance in the first place (apparently I may have took things a bit too seriously back then). The real kicker was after I walked off I was so angry and pacing back in forth that I didn't notice someone walk up to me and grab me by the shoulders. I looked up and it was my dad! I had no idea he was even coming to the show. He asked what was wrong and I basically just blew up about the whole ordeal. Nothing like throwing a temper-tantrum in front of your old man when you're in your 20s. But like a good parent he took me aside and bought me a beer to calm down and talk about it. Damn, I miss him.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

That actually wasn't too horrible - sounds a bit like Phish.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    That actually wasn't too horrible - sounds a bit like Phish.

that sounded like a night from hell.