Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught U2 at Gillette Stadium last night

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Caught U2 at Gillette Stadium last night

A couple thoughts:

• What a perfect day to tailgate. Honestly...
    • Snow Patrol was the opener. I've always liked "Run" and never really cared for the rest of their stuff, but I have to say they were WAY better live than I expected them to be. A little heavier, to my surprise - their vocalist sang with a bit more energy, and the live arena drum sound helped loads, too. Also, they were playing through Diamond amps, strangely, which meant they were probably a bit gainier than their recorded sound. All in all I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
    • I've never been a massive U2 fan, but I have to say they put on an awesome show. We had field tickets, so we were right down on the ground, and while we could have gotten quite a bit closer tot he stage had we tried, we opted to hang back a bit, since we were right in front of the soundboard, had more space, and were still no farther than 100 or so feet from the stage. The production was spectacular - they had a circular stage (its the "360 degrees tour"), and wandered around the edge a fair amount, but they also had a circular LCD display ringing the stage, and had cameras on the band. The guys running the cameras were awesome - it looked as much like a live concert music video as it did anything else. Sound was pretty good - a little muffled in places, but we were low enough that echoes weren't really a problem. Bono also still has an almost spectacularly good voice, something that his recordings don't really do justice - he'd do little tags here and there sequing into or out of their tunes, ending one song (whose name eludes me at the moment) with a reworking of the Beatles' Blackbird, and starting another with a vocal-and-sparse-guitar take on "Amazing Grace" where he really stretched his range, but totally nailed it. There was the expected politicizing, but he managed to limit it to the very end of the show and stayed on a signle subject (a leader in Burma who's been under house arrest for the past 20 years because she made the mistake of running and winning against the opposition). Over all, it was just a great concert experience.
    • Parking at Gillette, however, is an unmitigated clusterfuck. We figured it'd be bad, so we didn't even try to beat the crowd, instead being one of the last groups to leave the field, taking a leisurely stroll back to my car, and pulling back out our lawn chairs, some snacks, and a final round of beers to pass the time while the traffic ebbed. We ended up waiting an hour and fifteen minutes before the cars trying to get out of the row we were in even moved a full car's length, and then when traffic DID get moving a little bit, I made a few "bold" moves, drove like a Masshole, and got us out of there, but it still took us until 3AM to get home from a concert that ended at 11:45, most of which (until 2:30 or so) was just trying to get onto I-95. Whoever was tasked with handling traffic flow for the stadium was an incomtetent asshole.

Anyway, I had a great time, but I was dead tired when I finally made it to bed, and feel pretty woozy today for it. Good show though.

(I'm a little bummed - evidently, for a few tour dates, Muse was the opener :/)
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

I have always wanted to see U2 live... say what you will about them, I bet they put on a fantastic show. Glad you enjoyed it.

Also, too bad that Muse wasn't opening for them. Talk about a band I still really want to see live (although hopefully they won't play too much from their new album!)

And yeah, Sunday was just gorgeous. I was pouring wine all day at an outdoor wine and food festival, and it was sooo nice.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

No U2 love?

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    No U2 love?
    Nope, not a bit.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: '91 UV7PWH+'91 UV7BK
    Rig: Peavey JSX-Peavey 4/12

I've always liked their older stuff and some of their songs. I'd definitely see them live too. Sounds like an awesome show.

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

I've seen them twice, back in the 90's. Wether you like them or not, they really are great performers. Especially Bono. Their shows scenography is always very cool and innovative.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

ME: ESP Mirage
    Rig: Triaxis & SimulClass 2:90

That's cool, Drew. I've been a closet U2 fan for years and have always admired The Edge's playing. Someday I really should see them live.
    FUCK THE YANKEES, Cliff Lee, The Phillies, Tom Brady, Drew, snow,, Ebay, Bill Belichick, John Boehner, the iPhone, the gecko from the Geico commercials, shitty drivers, dealing with insurance companies, crazy ex girlfriends, my job at the moment, my shitty mood, new year's resolution's, happy people, the state of Connecticut, my cubicle at work, lower back pain, the Seahawks, anything Queensyche has done the last 15 years, NASA, Tiger Woods, the economy, people who can't drive in the rain, acid reflux, everyone in Dream Theater except John Myung, Metallica, customer service at Verizon, people who take up the whole aisle at the grocery store, The Rock, working Saturday's, waiting for Drew's album, The Packers, Robinson Cano, tires with no traction, spam email and the spam you eat, Putin, cavities, Netflix, Godzilla, Taylor Swift, the price of replacement windows on my house, squash... to be continued

ME: HevAri Dragonrider 7
    MB: Squier Affinity Jazz V
    Rig: Fryette Sig:X/VHT D60

I worked the load-out last night...the stage for this tour is fucking awesome! Just too bad I hate U2 I did catch the last couple songs, though, since they brought the lighting crew onto the field right next to the stage about 10-15 minutes before the show ended. Truly amazing from a production standpoint...I just wish I'd gotten to see the expanding video wall/cone thing in action!