Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Shadows Fall: Retribution

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Regor 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've loved Shadows Fall since The Art of Balance, and ESPECIALLY The War Within... but I was sincerely disappointed with Fallout From The War, which I do realize was a bunch of random stuff they threw together to fullfill their obligation to Century Media's contract, so they could move on to American Records. However, Threads of Life wasn't a great album IMO either. To me, it sounded like they were trying for mainstream success with their larger label.

Now... backstory aside, their new album, Retribution, is a perfect name for the album... HOLY SHIT this should have been the record to follow The War Within. If you liked TWW or TAOB and prior, I sincerely suggest you pick up this album! It kicks serious ass, its heavy as hell, and very noodly on the strings ;) Lots of harmonies, lots of heavy riffage. I'm definately going to burn a hole in my car's CD changer with this one. It ain't leaving for a while.

STRONG recommendation on this one :metal:

#2 ·
So I've loved Shadows Fall since The Art of Balance, and ESPECIALLY The War Within... but I was sincerely disappointed with Fallout From The War, which I do realize was a bunch of random stuff they threw together to fullfill their obligation to Century Media's contract, so they could move on to American Records. However, Threads of Life wasn't a great album IMO either. To me, it sounded like they were trying for mainstream success with their larger label.

Now... backstory aside, their new album, Retribution, is a perfect name for the album... HOLY SHIT this should have been the record to follow The War Within. If you liked TWW or TAOB and prior, I sincerely suggest you pick up this album! It kicks serious ass, its heavy as hell, and very noodly on the strings ;) Lots of harmonies, lots of heavy riffage. I'm definately going to burn a hole in my car's CD changer with this one. It ain't leaving for a while.

STRONG recommendation on this one :metal:
Hmmm, may have to pick it up then. ToL sucked balls, but everyone has an off album.

#4 ·
Funny, I was talking about this one with Mike the other day. Shadow's Fall and Lamb of God both made the move to major labels, both made the attempt to put out more commercial albums, both albums sucked balls, and both bands went back to the proven formula.

#9 ·
Sacrament was pretty damn good. Dave is just full of horseshit. He spouts his opinion as if it's gospel. :yesway:

The newest LoG album is 'Wrath.' Also, pretty fuckin' good (better than Sacrament to be honest, though).

All that shit said, I still dig Ashes of the Wake the most, probably, in terms of overall album.

#12 ·
Sacrament was pretty damn good. Dave is just full of horseshit. He spouts his opinion as if it's gospel. :yesway:
Piss off, Bob. :lol:

OK, if you rather, both LoG and Shadow's Fall made the move to major labels, recorded albums that were decidedly more commercial than those that preceded it, and they were punished with poor record sales and a return to smaller labels. They changed to grow their fanbase, and instead they lost some of the fans they made, so they returned to the proven formula to win the old fans back.

Just think, Metallica took four albums to realize what the fans want. The formula is to not sell out on your first major release. :lol:

#13 ·
*owns 4/5 LoG albums, likes 'em all but mostly the last 2*

I saw the new SF disc in the store tonight, didn't pick it up - along with TBDM, MATSOD, Unearth, and a few others *sigh* I need paycheques so's I can fund my CD addiction!

#18 ·
Just saw SF on tour with 5FDP and Otep... Wow! I haven't seen them live since their tour for The War Within... they were every bit as good last night as I remember them being the last time I saw them. Great performance, played a great mix of old and new. SOUND WAS PHENOMINAL! I've never seen a show where you could hear EVERYTHING, especially every word the vocalist said! The Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac, MI. Fucking great sound.... but for SF only... 5FDP sucked (We didn't really stay for them tho... just heard it while I was talking to Matt & Brian...

Oh yeah:

:metal:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.