Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Nickleback - Talented Cover Band

6K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  Naren 
#1 ·
Alright, I'm not a mother fucking Nicklesack fan. At all. They got a good production sound, and I like that tune 'Photograph." About it. But they can really do some cool shit, and a good job of it. Found this shit while looking up other bands. NWS

Friends in Low Places and Chickenfried

Sad But True - I like this better than Metallica's :lol:

The Four Horsemen (or part of it)

Cowboys From Hell

Sharp Dressed Man

This dude is a very versatile singer. As a singer, I'm actually impressed.

Aaaaand a pretty funny (NWS!) joke.

#4 ·
BTW, I hate that shit. Who gives a fuck if it's metal? I was probably metal when you were swimming around in your daddy's hairy nut sack. :lol: And even if I wasn't, the approval of the so-called keepers of metal is not something I seek or need.

Ugh! I HATE that shit.

EDIT - It thanked me for neg repping you. :lol: That's awesome.

#5 ·
I have Nickelback's first album, "The State." I bought it in 1998 or 1999 when it first came right after I heard "Old Enough" on 89X. It's an awesome record. Got tons of cool songs on it. To be honest, I haven't really liked any of their albums after it (although there have been a few select songs off the later albums that I've liked), but their debut album is just really good.

If you haven't heard it:

As for metal badges, I didn't know those things existed. Did you buy yours at Hot Topic, Crucified?

#7 ·
I hate Nickleback and I'm not much of a Metallica fan, but I can't imagine how bad ass it would be to stand in front of a sick setup like that (all the 4x12's and PA's and shit) and fucking bust out some palm muted shit like that :lol: The kick you would feel from that must be bad ass :lol:

#9 ·
Yes, Matt! :rofl:

I actually kind of like Nickelback. :shrug: Their first album, "The State" is a pretty solid disc (Cowboy Hat is a great track), and while they've gotten a bit formulaic ever since, they're at least honest about it. Meanwhile, they consistently get great guitar sounds and great mixes, and as Bob has discovered, they're very capable musicians (can't watch the vids from work, but will tonight). No arguments here.

#12 ·
I'm not a big fan of the band, but I've always liked the production on their albums and they always have awesome guitar tone.

As for the whole metal/non-metal thing, I listen to a lot of stuff that would probably get laughed at on here, but I don't really care. If I like it I like it. I guess that makes me a weenie. :lol:

#13 ·
I was a big fan of "The State" as well, and when I first heard "How You Remind Me" on the radio, it was this little band I liked that no one else had heard of, and I thought "Huh, not a bad song, it'll probably do ok for them" :rofl:

I've liked most of what I've heard from them, to be honest, but I'm kind of easy to please when it comes to music. If it's catchy and doesn't have anything in it that specifically bothers me, I'll likely listen to it and enjoy it. I wouldn't say I'm a fan in the literaly (fanatic) sense of the word, but I don't change the station when a new song from them comes on. I will occasionally switch it if I've heard the song a million and a half times and I'm getting bored of it :lol:

Really, being overplayed is their biggest problem, and that's a problem I could live with having myself :lol:

#14 ·
I look at Nickleback about the same way I look at AC/DC. They do what they do and they're good at it. Most of their tunes tend to sound the same but that's okay because they are not trying to say they are something they're not. It's just straight ahead rock and roll.

Much like AC/DC, I generally like what they do but can only take so much of it because its all pretty much the same. Fair enough.

I'd recommend the live Nickleback HBO concert to just about anybody. It's filmed in their home town and it rocks!

#18 ·
They do the covers great though. :yesway:
That was my whole point. :lol:

If you actually listen to these vids, you'll see, they do these cover tunes really, really well. Their version of Sad But True is heavy as shit, and dude sounds way, way, waaay better than (current) Hetfield. He might even sound better than album Hetfield. His country twang when doing Garth Brooks (a guy I happen to love) is scarily good. And he even does a convincing Chad Whatever-his-last-name-is doing Billy Gibbons. :lol:

#22 ·
I always liked Nickelback's covers. They did a good one of "Saturday Night's Alright."

They basically took the "Load/Reload" school of Metallica and went all the way with it. Solid songwriters, but I'm sick of seeing them plastered all over mainstream radio. I'm probably just jealous :lol:

#26 ·
Never been a fan of Nickelback... BUT

- The production on their albums does sound incredible
- They have some songs that are catchy as hell and know how to write music that will stick in your head
- They're great live and sound tight
- I'd rather have drop-tuned-rock-guitar-oriented songs on the radio than f*ckin' bad techno music or anything that sounds like Celine Dion or any female singers in that genre.

#40 ·
Nickleback are a good band. Their first couple albums were really good, but their recent stuff I don't like. Awesome guitar tone though (PRS ftmfw).

#41 ·
I always give credit to nickelback for being hugely famous for doing what they love. They have some songs I can dig, and others I got sick of after the first 5 times (I don't listen to the radio because I want MY music).

The fact that they can nail some great covers is a plus :yesway:. Hopefully those covers will inspire the fans to look up the originals.

#43 ·
And, you know, even my dad likes "The State." He put it on while we were washing dishes after dinner the other night, much to my surprise. It's really a great rock album. :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.