Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prince: The internet is over.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Prince: The internet is over.

Prince: the internet's completely over - Telegraph

While I applaud his attitude (and his incredible guitar playing), he might be a wee off the mark.

Talking to The Mirror, Prince said: “The internet is completely over. I don’t see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won’t pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can’t get it.”

ME: 90 RG570
    Rig: Digitech GSP2101

Hearing that today, I went to the Prince Wiki. Turns out, he was the first artist to release an Internet only album.

ME: KxK customs
    Rig: Verellen Amps

Sucks when you get older doesn't it? The internet is so far from dead that by removing yourself from it basically turns you into a dinosaur that no one has ever heard of.

ME: none
    MA: Seagull!
    MB: None.
    Rig: Hd500->V300->Mesa 212

Prince also criticised the advent of gadgets and computers: “All these computers and digital gadgets are no good.
    "They just fill your head with numbers and that cant be good for you.”
    O rly?

Rig: Transporter

He's mother-fucking-Prince. He knows what he's talking about.

I'm going to miss you guys.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Crucified View Post
    Sucks when you get older doesn't it? The internet is so far from dead that by removing yourself from it basically turns you into a dinosaur that no one has ever heard of.
    While I cannot disagree that he is acting stupid, Prince will ALWAYS be known. He'll consistently be right up there with the greats from AC/DC to Parliament to BB King to Michael Jackson to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones (stylistically, he's all of them). The guy is monumentally influential, and his place in history has long been assured. People will absolutely look back and wonder what the hell he thought he was going to accomplish, like an even more pointless of a gesture than when Pearl Jam boycotted Ticketmaster.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Ibanez M80M
    MA: ukulele
    MB: Ibanez Terra Firma BTB686
    Rig: Custom Built PC

I saw a post on this and it was accompanied by a lot of knee-jerk reaction from people, but I think it's being taken somewhat out of context. He's obviously referring to the (perceived, on his part) obsolescence of the net as a distribution mechanism for music, not that the overall value of the internet is in any way, shape, or form moot. To a certain extent, I agree with him as it hasn't proven to be the cure-all for music distribution as it has oft been toted as, and there's a lot to be said for a lot of artists working on their own models to... well, get paid. IMHO, as an exposure mechanism, it's turned into another MTV, Clear Channel, etc. scenario where if you're not marquee'd on the front page of Myspace Music, iTunes, etc., you're not moving your work... for all it's unlimited breadth, the scope is as narrow as many previous outlets as it's taken on the "Web 2.0" incarnation.

That said, I'll also criticize him here in toting that his model is somehow a realistic rebuttal... and add Trent Reznor and Radiohead to that stack, all who've made alternative means of making money off their art, and declared those systems as some sort of answer. It works for all the aforementioned as they were household names before the internet thing blossomed. How the fuck that translates to artists who haven't even reached their own respective underground markets, let alone had a shot in every household in the world containing electricity is beyond me. Take Prince's model, to distribute his CD in magazines (who benefit by having his face as a draw, and subsequently their advertisers paying out as gads of Prince fans buy mags to get his music): How does he expect anyone without legendary cred to even begin to implement that? Frankly, legacy artists finding ways to dodge the torrent/file share bullet doesn't exactly make for a business model for any musician who's not known, but might/will be over the next decade or more. Until then, as underwhelming as the net is, its probably still one of the best bets.
    Last edited by Variant; 07-07-2010 at 06:48 AM.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

There are lessons to be drawn from this for non-famous musicians, and there are people out there working on this stuff. If you can build up a base of 1,000 fans or so, you can sell a special edition CD package that recoups its costs after surprisingly few copies are sold. The package itself is deluxe and is maybe the most important part of the product. This has worked for a number of artists with small, but devoted fan bases.

There's no substitute for getting out there in the clubs to build such a fan base, though. Also, it's obviously not going to be a huge money maker for anyone. The days of the multimillionaire rock star are probably drawing to a close. Too bad Prince spent all his money on that colossal ego complex of his in Minneapolis.