Labrie hurt Portnoy's feelings.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Labrie hurt Portnoy's feelings.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Labrie hurt Portnoy's feelings.

Former DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has accused the group's lead singer, James LaBrie, of being "insensitive" and "disrespectful" for proclaiming in a recent interview (PODCAST) that the remaining members of DREAM THEATER were "not sad at all" about Mike's departure from the group.

During an appearance on the September 28, 2010 edition of the USED BIN RADIO show on PURE ROCK RADIO, LaBrie was asked if he was "sad" over Portnoy's decision to leave DREAM THEATER, the band Mike formed and led for 25 years.

"You know what?! I'm not sad at all," LaBrie replied. "I've gotta be honest with you. I think that everyone out there needs to know that there's four guys in the band that are... We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter. And I think one of the other things that everyone really has to remember is that there's four more-than-capable guys there. We're all extremely... I know everyone is out there going, 'Holy shit! Is this guy full of himself or what?' But I wanna say it like it is. There's four very capable people in the band, and we're all talented and we all know what we're doing, and we're all capable of doing everything and keeping DREAM THEATER exactly what it's been and bringing it to another level and bringing it to uncharted waters, but I think very exciting and fulfilling waters. So, no, we're not down. I can guarantee you none of us are down. We're actially pretty excited... and very positive."

Earlier today, a registered user of Portnoy's official forum asked the site's moderators if threads about LaBrie's upcoming solo tour were being deleted from the site. Portnoy himself then chose to respond, writing, "I'm afraid your eyes are not playing tricks on you."

He continued, "I was willing to ignore that the [DREAM THEATER] guys insisted all [Mike Portnoy]-related stuff be removed from [DREAM THEATER's official web site].... but then on Monday reading the Blabbermouth headlines with James [LaBrie] insensitively proclaming they are 'not sad at all' about my departure from DREAM THEATER, I cannot in 'happy' standing promote his solo tour....

"I am so sad it comes to this, but I am even more shocked and hurt by James' completely disrespectful quote."

[Note: The thread containing Mike's comments has since been deleted from Portnoy's forum.]
    Labrie's response:

A short time after Mike's quote appeared on the site, LaBrie released the following statement in an attempt to clarify the comments that were attributed to the singer in the "Used Bin Radio" interview:

"It seems there is a misunderstanding.

"When I said I was not sad with Mike's departure, it, unfortunately, leaves plenty of room to misconstrue such words.

"No one can tell you or me how to think and feel.

"Initially with Mike's departure I was extremely upset, down and shocked. But one needs to deal and work through these emotions in order to arrive at a more positive and optimistic place. That is where I am now and was when the interview took place.

"Let me put it more plain and simple. Life does not afford us the luxury to wallow in our sorrow. You have to deal with the situation at hand and make it a productive and positive endeavor In other words, onward and upward.

"Mike made it perfectly clear why he chose the current path. I would much rather his words be the definitive answer.

"In the end, does it really matter what our views are? Other than human curiosity, it doesn't change a thing.

"I have said my peace and believe there is no room for misinterpretation.

"I will give no further weight to this subject; all has been said."
    Sounds to me like Mike expected DT to wallow along without him and his ego, and is asshurt that they're pushing on as a band instead of being The Band That Used To Have Portnoy As A Drummer.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

i dont think labrie was saying anything other than "hey, we are still gonna go on"
    nothing wrong with that
    Confront and Cry

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Agreed. Unless you're Portnoy, and your ego is the size of Nebraska.

Fuck A7X.

Rig: Transporter

Ugh....I'm not sure how Portnoy misinterpreted that quote. I read that interview when it first came out and I knew exactly what he meant by it.

ME: DC727/RG7621
    MB: SR505
    Rig: HD500

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Strings of Hate View Post
    i dont think labrie was saying anything other than "hey, we are still gonna go on"
    nothing wrong with that

Time spent crying over a lost band member doesn't do the band any good.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Band drama: Srs bzniz.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

Portnoy is kinda egotistical, I guess... Nothing LaBrie said was offensive in the slightest. How could you misinterpret that?

ME: RG350DX
    MB: Carvin IC6

This whole thing is kind of ridiculous. They need to stop being babies about it. Silly Mike.