How you know your musical tastes are seriously unpopular with the mainstream

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How you know your musical tastes are seriously unpopular with the mainstream

ME: Kxk 7 + RG 1527m x2
    Rig: ENGL Invader + AXE-FX II

How you know your musical tastes are seriously unpopular with the mainstream

While im here in Southern California for a couple more days i figured i would hang out with some old friends.

So after work i called them up and we hit a billiards bar, the place was packed for a Thursday night; there were about 20 tables and only one or two were open / plus the 30 - 50 people at the bar.

So as we enter the music that is playing is mostly mainstream hiphop and Britney Spears type pop (no idea what it really was, but it all sounded the same), we start playing pool and the crappy music is really throwing off my aim. So i head over to the jukebox and throw in five bucks, this gave me 15 songs; surprisingly they had the entire dream theater / symphony X / opeth discography.

I started it out with "a change of seasons" and then picked random Symphony X songs and a couple of Opeth songs afterwords.

As soon as the Dream Theater song started the entire place got really annoyed for what ever reason; there were at least five different people that threw money into the jukebox because they thought i only selected one song

So after DT finishes I think the next song was Inferno by Symphony X, at this point at least five tables left because i could hear them say "wtf this music sucks" or something along those lines. One girl even came up to me and asked how many songs i picked and why was that last song 30 minutes long

By the time the Symphony X song was over with, a couple of more people went by the jukebox and dumped coins into it hoping to play some other type of music.

The third song was Deliverance by Opeth, as soon as the growling started at least 80% of the place cleared out, it was crazy.

Any way for the rest of the night my 15 songs lasted well into close (long prog metal songs) and my friends and i had a blast playing pool to prog metal. Every one else either left, or was visibly pissed off.

Some how i managed to troll an entire bar with my "bad" music selection.
    Last edited by Samer; 12-17-2010 at 05:33 PM.

ME: Agile Hawker 727
    Rig: read my signature

Fuck 'em. Not your fault you have better musical taste.
    Vice President of the Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

Agile Hawker 727>Line 6 XDS95>Line 6 POD X3 Pro>Matrix GT800FX>Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Kinda dick, but win nonetheless.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

If you really want to piss people off, pick one annoying pop song, and play it 20 or 30 times in a row.

ME: Strictly 7 Anaconda
    Rig: Axe Fx-> 2:90-> Mesa cab

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Crooks View Post
    If you really want to piss people off, pick one annoying pop song, and play it 20 or 30 times in a row.
    I do that in bars in Dallas where the patrons almost exclusively play Pantera. I can't tell ya how many times they've actually shut off my Britney Spears tracks and skipped to the next one only to find one more song from her catalog

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Epic win, my friend. I like a little bit of discourse every once in a while.
    Argbadh - RHLCİ

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I've been kicked out of numerous house parties for playing metal on the sound systems. Music taste in any college town is pretty much an atroicity to nature.

Anaal Nathrakh clears a dance floor like none other
    [VIDEO]]YouTube - Anaal Nathrakh - Between Shit And Piss We Are Born[/VIDEO]

ME: RGA 121 & SLSMG
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Understandable with Dream Theater and Symphony X, but Opeth? It happens to me all the time at work. I can't play Univers Zero, Animal Collective, Lounge Lizards, Agalloch, etc.