Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Great read - Michael Beinhorn's blog

786 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Thomas 
#1 ·
I recently stumbled upon the blog of producer Michael Beinhorn, where he writes about his life, music, and the music business. I've only read a few of his articles so far, but all of them have been interesting and insightful, even entertaining. His writing resonates with me, and I thought some of you guys might enjoy it also. A few excerpts:

[...] many creative people have gotten a free ride on the back of inspiration for so long. This ride never feels like work- instead, it's like having a never ending, self-perpetuating source of energy, available at one's beck and call, every moment of every day. One gets spoiled spending so much of their life feeling buoyed by this fuel. In this sense, inspiration becomes a form of entitlement. When inspiration is suddenly gone, the incentive to work can go, as well. It is at this point where many creative people will completely give up on what they are doing. Most of the time, a creative person simply won't push themselves past the point where they begin to feel any discomfort.
I hadn't taken any hallucinogens at that point in life, but as I listened to the music rage at me through the tinny-sounding earpiece, I felt as if I was encountering an altered state of reality. I heard the grass growing beneath me and I felt the sky singing. This moment was unique in time, never to come again, a single link in a chain of infinite links which built and enhanced a far richer fabric of life than any I could run my hands through.

People aren't afforded the opportunity to have that experience of music anymore.
How To Save Popular Music | Commentary on popular music/ art and the music industry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.