Music you grew up on before you found metal

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music you grew up on before you found metal

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Music you grew up on before you found metal

If you didnt listen to metal when growing up, what did you listen to? Im a product of the 90s and grew up on pop. Yep. I remember going to an nsync concert and first act went on, i asked my mom "is that the spice girls?" turns out it was Britney spears and she was boo'd off the stage by the 3rd or 4th song. It was around 1998. I didnt really listen to much music until i picked up guitar in 2004. And then i discovered crazy train \m/

I can't remember not listening to metal, but other than metal I listened to a lot of rap and techno.

The first music video I ever saw was "We're Not Gonna Take It" and it was stuck in my head for forever after that.

I'm a product of the 80's, so I really liked Poison, Bon Jovi, Cinderalla, Motely Crue, Ozzy, Dio, Van Halen, etc. as a youngster, and the first two CD's I got were Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" and Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time".

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Grew up listening to what my parents listened to (Michael Jackson, Genesis, Alan Parsons Project, Chris DeBurgh, etc.) and random other pop, then got into rock through my cousins in the mid-90s, and then discovered Metallica. Combine all of those things, and that explains my current musical tastes pretty well

I listened to a lot of classic prog before I discovered metal; think Pink Floyd, Rush, King Crimson, ELP.

ME: Schecter Loomis 7
    Rig: Boss GT-8

I didn't take music seriously until metal. It started about 1982 or so. I got into Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and then I got into music big time.
    The only proof he needed for the existance of God was music.
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Without music, life would be a mistake.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

The first CD I ever bought was No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, and I think I have a Wallflowers cassette kicking around somewhere. All of my similarly-aged cousins are girls, so before that I guess I listened to Backstreet Boys and the Jock Jams CDs or something.

Thankfully my uncle set me on the straight and narrow by age 12 or so when he introduced me to Metallica and Iron Maiden, much to my mother's dismay.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Making metal every night and day.

Lots of reggae: Bob Marley and the Wailers, Desmond Dekker, Gregory Isaacs, and so on. Also, Phil Collins, Queen, David Bowie, Genesis, The Beatles, Kylie Minogue, Michael Jackson.

Pretty much every time I think of music from when I was young and before I got into metal, I pretty much always visualise sitting in the back of the car, driving to beaches around Cyprus with my parents Good times.
    "I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth." - Oliver Reed

"America blaming BP for the oil spill is like a man punching a prostitute in the face because his own needs disgust him." - Stewart Lee