Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Periphery covered "One" for the Homefront soundtrack.

9K views 72 replies 41 participants last post by  22 
#1 ·
Pretty sweet, I didn't see a thread on it so here you go.

Well done cover, and it's awesome for them to have gotten on the soundtrack of a major game!

#2 ·
Fantastic job. Done in their own style without bastardizing the original (musically, anyway). I'll never like this vocalist, his heavy growls/screams just do not work, but I dig the rest. Fucking outrageous drumming. :hbang:

It's a damn shame that Greg Pope didn't end up as Periphery's vocalist. This guy just does their music no justice. His emo-screams show that has a good/strong range for that style, but his "dirty" vocals just aren't good at all.

#15 ·
On the soundtrack of Homefront:

Its all classic songs. Covered by modern bands. Periphery was probably the most talented of the group, but I didn't like their cover at all. It had none of the balls of the original, and its something that just isn't Periphery's style. However, it was the best cover on the soundtrack. I was really wanting to get Homefront at some point, but the soundtrack is SO Bad, I'm beginning to rethink buying it on that alone :lol: Acacia Strain's cover or Warpigs is a fucking abortion, for example. And nothing on the soundtrack gets close to good, much less awesome.

(With the exception of Periphery's song) they could just release the soundtrack on CD as a compilation album "Some of the worst new bands absolutely fucking ruin songs that you once held dear".

#16 ·
Ken and I chatted about this last night and we agreed we hated it. It just lacks the dark brutal feel of the original and does absolutely nothing for me.

#18 ·
I just listened to The Acacia Strain cover of War Pigs. Calling that pile of shit an abortion is being polite. When the vocals came in I bust out laughing.

#22 ·
I like it. There's a couple bits that I think could be a little better (first verse vocals), but I love the drumming, and the atmosphere. And Spencer's vocals on the heavy section make me excited for the next album :yesway: Also, hearing Matt lay into the straight-forward drumming in the heavy section is awesome. He doesn't do much of that with Periphery, and it's cool to see him hold true to that part.

#23 ·
Not nearly as good as the original, but a decent cover in my opinion. :yesway: The melodic clean vocals seemed really odd instead of James' thrashy snarl, but if I had never heard the original, I wouldn't have thought that. Of course, it really takes away the viciousness and pure attitude of the original. In the original, it's just so angry-sounding. And I thought the aggressive vocals here did not have that attitude at all. James going "Landmine! has taken my sight! Take my speech!" and so on is just so powerful. I thought this lacked that.

#25 ·
Really hate that vocal production. Was never a fan of it on the actual Periphery album, but it sounds even worse here :(
Drums are definitely being overplayed until the heavy bit.
As for the vocals, well the problem is, Spencer can actually sing, but Hetfield couldn't :lol: But it's kinda like Megadeth, if you cover their music with a vocalist that actually has the technical skill, it just doesn't sound as good, because it's the lack of vocal ability and just that general (and I'm reluctant to have to use this term, but it fits) raw sound that comes along with that lack of technical that made it mesh well with the music.
I know I certainly prefer Hetfield's pre-vocal lessons voice to the Black album
onwards voice anyway.
I suppose there's worse covers out there, but I couldn't give this more than 4/10 at most.

#49 ·
#36 ·
#31 ·
An actually good cover of that song:

YouTube - War Pigs by Faith No More
^ :agreed:

I thought it was a good cover, but not the epic kind that makes you think "Wow this is better than the original." Those are rare. I still really enjoyed it.

Also, fuck. Someone less talented than Ozzy. :lol:

YouTube - The Acacia Strain "War Pigs" (Originally by Black Sabbath)
Dear Christ that's bad :rofl: The vocals are laughably bad, and the tight cuts on the guitar stabs kill the atmosphere and energy. And the producer clearly doesn't know how to deal with a proper drummer, since he's attempted sample replacement on the drums the way this style of band usually has, and the more dynamic fills sounds just awful.

#33 ·
Yeah, um no? I mean, I really like Periphery's CD. But this was not so much. Spencer's voice doesn't suit it at all. And what's with all the extra wankery on the end solo? And also I didn't like the 'constant, unending double bass' at the end of the song. Sorry, but :noway: :noway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.