The best musician I've ever seen play any instrument, ever. (non metal content)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: The best musician I've ever seen play any instrument, ever. (non metal content)

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

The best musician I've ever seen play any instrument, ever. (non metal content)

Is without a doubt Joshua Bell:

[VIDEO]]YouTube - Joshua Bell plays Liebesleid and Liebesfreud[/VIDEO]

And on a related note, 'D posted this a while back but if you haven't read this, it's a good, albeit disheartening, read.

Pearls Before Breakfast -

ME: Jackson Fusion HH
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Farts
    Rig: POD HD500

That article was more than a little disheartening. I can't imagine how busy I would have to be to not stop and watch that guy play for few minutes.

ME: Agile Pendulum
    MA: Ibanez EW20ASENT
    MB: Ibanez
    Rig: Line6 Pod Farm

Wow :/

ME: C1's & RG's
    MA: BCRich AE
    Rig: 6505+ half stack

rush hour in the city subway... if you haven't done it, you can't appreciate it.

I probably would have turned my head and noticed, but if i'm on my way to work, there's a 99% chance i'm running late and won't have time to listen.

along the same lines, i hung out for over an hour watching 3 dudes in DC make a drum kit out of garbage cans and 55 gallon drums. it was awesome tribal stuff straight out of africa. i think i dropped $20 by the time i left.
    just passing through....

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

When i'm in the underground, i'm usually heading somewhere, on a deadline, and my first inclination is to GTFO of there. I don't care how good subway musicians are (and we have some really good ones here)... i'm very unlikely to stop and listen.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Yeah, I remembere that story damned near killed me when I first read it.

Yet, at the same time, I'm not surprised in the least. Being perfectly objective, had I walked past him while he was playing, I'm sure I'd have at least looked at him, and I'd probably have slowed down and lingered for a moment or two - even on a lo-fi video you can hear that the guy's tone is something special, and his touch on the instrument is masterful. But, I don't really know that much about violin music, so I wouldn't be able to really discern between a guy who was quite proficient, and a true world class talent.

And, you really can't understand the dehumanizing aspect of public transportation until you've done it. The Boston T isn't bad compared to some, and the Red Line is one of the cleaner/nicer lines, but when I first moved to Boston it took me less than a week to get the hang of recognizing the locals and recognizing the out of town visitors - the locals were the ones wou would never make eye contact.

Part of taking busy public transportation day in and day out, where you're shoved into narrow cars and stand shoulder to shoulder with complete strangers, many of whom are carrying bags and briefcases and a certain amount of jostling and invasion of one's personal space is inevitable, is the ability to "shut out" the rest of the world around you. It's not an invasion of your personal space if someone falls into you or has to stick their arm an inch or two to the left of your face to grab a handhold if you can mentally "shut off" the humanity of the people around them, and think of them not as a living, breathing human being, but as just another inanimate object near you. No one feels "invaded" by being close to a rock, a tree, or a wall. It's the same idea, and if you spend enough time on crowded public transit, you quickly learn how to do it.

It'd take something pretty damned jarring to shake down that wall between yourself and the rest of the world, and unless you're a music lover this probably isn't enough. :/
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Spot on Drew, spot on.