Best album mix and/or production?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best album mix and/or production?

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Best album mix and/or production?

Was thinking this one over the other day. There are some semi-absolutes to quality production but it's mostly a matter of taste. As such, I figured it'd be worth asking what albums "stand out" to you folks?

Totally non-metal, but this one plays in my car on the way to work regularly and everything sounds so transparent, you can hear everything very well and there's extremely subtle panning used for separation:

[VIDEO]]YouTube - San Andreas Fault - Natalie Merchant[/VIDEO]

For an older recording, I'd definitely consider the song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd but there aren't any HD versions on YouTube for me to use as an example.

So, what else?
    Argbadh - RHLCİ

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Savatage's Edge Of Thorns is one of my absolute favorites.

[VIDEO]]YouTube - Savatage - Edge Of Thorns[/VIDEO]

ME: none
    MA: Seagull!
    MB: None.
    Rig: Hd500->V300->Mesa 212

Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Opeths latest album?

Though I don't listen to it much anymore, Untouchables by Korn stands out as the one album with close to impeccable production and mixing, to me. Andy Wallace, who mixed it, is my favorite mixer, and I often use albums he's worked on as reference. Thirteenth Step by A Perfect Circle Nevermind by Nirvana, both also mixed by Wallace, sound excellent, too.

As for Pink Floyd, I feel that The Wall is the album of that era with the best production. As for metal, I think Metallica's Master of Puppets completely nails that 80's sound while still managing to sound relevant and great even today. I also love the sound of Blackwater Park and Watershed by Opeth.

ME: Fender NoCaster
    MA: Takamine N10
    Rig: Orange Rocker 30

Korn - Untouchables. Listening to that album on a true hi-fi audiophile system will transport you to a different dimension. If I remember correctly I think they spent over a million to produce it which is ridiculous but at the same time it shows. Drums are HUGE sounding as well as the guitars are absolutely crushing. Vocals, even if you don't care for the style are just over the top through and through. The production on this album absolutely floors me every time I listen to it and I think that's part of the reason why it's one of my favorites. You couldn't do those songs any justice unless it was produced the way it was. If you're going for a full on rock opera you have to have all the theatrics involved, you know?

Edit: sniped, lol. and +1 to APC thirteenth step, phenomenal sounding album as well. The guitars on that album are the bar by which I judge all modern rock guitar tones.
    Last edited by Dylan7620; 05-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Wow, what a huge subject. On the whole, I would have to say that Dark Side of the Moon is the best production I've ever heard. On a good stereo, it's like you could dive in and swim around in that mix. It actually sounds like it's all happening right there in the room with you.

For metal, I would say the best production I ever heard was Metallica's Black album. Even if the music is underwhelming compared to their previous albums, the production is stellar.

I would also name Back in Black as an amazing hard rock/metal production. So many of AC/DC's albums are just a bit too raw and dry for my tastes, but that one combines their natural edge with a beautiful lushness that is second-to-none. I think everybody has been trying to get that guitar sound and mix for 30 years.

ME: Ibanez S 540 Ltd
    Rig: Bugera 333XL Infinium

My favorites are classic death metal productions from the late 80's/early 90's (Autopsy- Mental Funeral, Obituary-Cause Of Death, Bolt Thrower-The IVth Crusade, Entombed-Clandestine, Asphyx-The Rack, Morbid Angel-Covenant, Cynic-Focus, Burning Inside-The Eve Of The Entities, Edge Of Sanity- Unorthodox and more...) I don't know how perfect they are technically (lol) ...but they ooze individuality, enhance atmosphere & have the ability to make my hair stand on end..
    "Everyone's got their own character, and that's the thing that's amazed me about guitar playing since the day I first picked it up. Everyone's approach to what can come out of six strings is different from another person, but it's all valid." ~Jimmy Page

Jams On Vimeo
    \ Jams On Youtube

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Devin Townsend's "Terria"
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace