What are your top albums of 2008?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your top albums of 2008?

ME: Fender Telecaster
    MA: Takamine ETN10C
    Rig: PodXTPRO

What are your top albums of 2008?

Seeing as we are reaching the end of the year and a lot of the music press are doing the same thing I thought I would see:

What have been your best albums of 2008?

Preferably if you could keep it to a top 5 with whichever is your top one highlighted would be better, but if you have more or less (like myself) that would be good as well.

I see this in part as a way to see what I have missed out on this year as having seen a lot of top 50 album polls this year I have realised I haven't heard of most of them!

1) Cynic - Traced in Air
    This album seems to have divided opinion particularly among fans of Focus but I think it's a must buy for anyone interested in Prog. This is my number one album of the year.

2) Textures - Silhouettes
    I felt their earlier albums were slightly generic Meshuggah rip offs which were fine but a bit bland. They have added a synth type/melodic 'thing' (can't really describe it - reminds me of Duran Duran and Depeche Mode for some reason!) to this album and it seems to work so well! Listened to this album so many times this year and still not bored of it.

3) Opeth - Watershed
    Not their strongest effort but still has some great songs on it and it was interesting to hear what a more technically proficient (although some would argue less melodic) guitarist like Fredrik Åkesson would bring to Opeth.

Special mentions to the following albums which I haven't listened to enough to truly decide whether they should be in my top 5 or not but on the basis of what I have listened to I think could creep in there:

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes
    Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
    REM - Accelerate
    Last edited by Dormant; 12-11-2008 at 01:48 PM.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

board up the house - genghis tron
    that one is one of my favs for the year
    Confront and Cry

ME: Blackjack SLS C-1 FR
    MA: Ibanez V300 (1986)
    Rig: Digitech GNX4

Testament - The Formation of Damnation

ME: KxK Sii-7
    Rig: ENGL Fireball->Vader

1. Cynic - Traced in Air
    2. Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus
    3. Ihsahn - angL
    4. Moonspell - Night Eternal
    5. Enslaved - Vertebrae

ME: Jackson SLS/COW7
    Rig: Invader

1. Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
    2. Meshuggah - Obzen
    3. Misery Signals - Controller

Cynic is in my top 5 biggest disappointments of all time.. that album was so incredibly boring IMO

ME: Ibanez S540LTD/RG760
    MA: Seagull S6
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

Opeth - Watershed

The only album that came out this year that I've bought (I think). Truely an awesome album - I liked it a lot more than "Ghost Reveries" and "Deliverance".

Anathema - Hindsights
    Even if it's more like a best-of album (semi-acoustic versions of old songs), it was still different enough that I thought it could be listed here.

The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound
    I've been meaning to get this for a while now. It's a really good prog-rock record kind of in the vein of Porcupine Tree, though it's got a bit less heaviness and a more mellow atmosphere than the new Porcupine Tree stuff.

I haven't really listened to much new stuff this year other than these.

ME: Ibanez JBM100

Testament - The Formation of Damnation
    Hate Eternal - Fury and Flames
    Cynic - Traced in Air

I was going to put Obzen on this list, but I only listen to Bleed and Combustion off that album.

ME: Schecter Loomis ToM
    Rig: Randall RM100

In no order:

Byzantine - Oblivion Beckons (Such a shame they broke up.)
    Opeth - Watershed (Simply amazing all the way through)
    Mercenary - Architech of Lies (Much better on the whole compared to the last two albums. More consistent)
    Warrel Dane - Praises to the war machine (This is in my top 3, this album is just wonderful to listen to)
    Evergrey - Torn (This one is almost perfect. A lot better than the last album)

Honorable mentions: Exodus - Let there be blood. Didn't make my list because it's a re-recording, but holy fuck it's great to blast the oldies again!

Slipknot - All hope is gone. Say what you will, this CD kicked ass, and has enough variety to keep it interesting.

Biggest dissapointments:
    Testament - The formation of damnation. I felt a little let down, maybe it's because I had such high expectations of it after the masterpiece that was The Gathering. This CD definitely fucks shit up, but it's only 85% of what I hoped it would have been.

Iced Earth - The crucible of man. Jon is getting old, the songs lack energy and excitement. IMO Iced Earth haven't put out a good CD since Horror Show
    Medicine Chief - RHLC