Left field albums from established bands

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Left field albums from established bands

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Left field albums from established bands

Since Mike and I were chatting about it, I figured I'd start a thread for bands that take a complete left turn into uncharted territory, and the result is actually cool. An album where the bold experiment actually worked, when the press release makes you think, "Uh oh..." before you ever hear it. So, I'll start...

This isn't just a left turn for Sabbath, but a left turn for the already know and established Dio/Iommi/Butler/Apice lineup. It's dark and angular, with some of the oddest songwriting any of those guys have ever done. The Dead (After All) is a lurching, evil number. Time Machine is almost thrash from a band known for plodding doom and mid tempo rockers. I is angular chug and the most pissed off lyrics Dio ever penned. Master of Insanity has that completely screwy riff that is abandons until the end of the song. When this album came out, it shocked everyone who was expecting the follow up to Mob Rules to sound, well, more like Mob Rules or Heaven and Hell. Instead, the world got this experimental, depressing album that hides some of their best songs under horrible production.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

I'll play:

Talk about coming out of nowhere. Even though they only had one full-length and an EP to their name, Queensryche pulled one completely out of left field. Only (maybe) "Surgical Strike" would have fit on "The Warning", and the one leftover from that album was recorded ("Prophecy") but left off because it completely didn't fit - yet it's recognizably the same band. The material here is weird, warped, and slightly unsettling in some ways (especially upon the initial listen is you were expecting a rational followup to their previous work), but brilliant, dark, and other-worldly sounding - and strangely mature for a band on it's second full-length. It left a lot of people scratching their heads. The only downside was listening to the image consultants.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Deep Purple turned into a funk band in late 1974. A surprisingly good one.

ME: Blackjack C7
    MB: Yamaha TRB6
    Rig: GK MB500

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27WAhchHDI]Carcass - Heartwork - YouTube[/VIDEO]

Went from being grindy death metal on one album to laying the groundwork for melodic death metal on the next.
    I play bass in a band called Weaponlord.

I also play bass in a band called Northern Crown.

I used to play bass in a band called Faethom.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

They weren't super established at the time, but given what they've grown into in the last 30 years, it's pretty surprising still to hear the one prog rock album they put out (and it's not terrible, it's nothing special or great, but it's not entirely terrible ).

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAthBH8pZOg]Bad Religion - Time and Disregard - YouTube[/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equwkrZUg7Q]Bad Religion - The Dichotomy - YouTube[/VIDEO]