Fuck your bongos

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuck your bongos

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Fuck your bongos

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUixHM_ID5I]Highway Star - Deep Purple - (live 1993) - [high quality] - YouTube[/VIDEO]

Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Ritchie, what an utter cunt. I love him

ME: Jaden Rose/Baja Tele
    MA: Freshman FA-400D
    Rig: Cornford Roadhouse

Ritchie Blackmore, the biggest child in rock music...

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

The infamous Birmingham '93 gig. Blackmore was unhappy with the presence of cameramen on stage. That's why he didn't come onstage until halfway through the song. He saw a cameraman on his side of the stage and refused to come on until that guy was told to leave. He wasn't mad at Gillan for playing congas, he was glaring at another cameraman behind him. However, Blackmore and Gillan were completely at odds by then, and it was one of Ritchie's last shows with DP. Here's the backstory:

Come Hell or High Water

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

For the following night's show in Birmingham, all the stops had been pulled - at least video production wise. There were at least three cameras dotted around the audience, plus one in the pit in front of the stage and two handheld on either side of the stage. The resulting video "Come Hell Or High Water", now out on DVD, is a near-faithful reproduction of the show excellently produced and directed. However, the opening of the show and "Highway Star" have been heavily edited in an attempt to cover up what happened during those first few minutes. (The first encore of "Hush" was also edited out.)

As the introduction tape was played over the PA, and the lasers picked out the DP logo and the battling dragons on the backdrop, all cameras fired up. Ian Paice arrived onstage and started the signature snare drum beat of "Highway Star", and soon Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Gillan joined him onstage. It took a while to register that Blackmore was missing. He appeared briefly by his amplifiers, then ran off again. What was going on? The band started looking around, the intro to "Highway Star" still brewing. Confusion. No one seemed to know what was happening, least of all the band. Still with no sign of Blackmore, Ian Gillan signalled for the band to start the song proper. Looking slightly pissed off, they made their way through the first two verses in style, trying to cover up. But when it came to Jon Lord's solo, Blackmore still hadn't turned up. Without the rhythm guitar to back him up, Jon's solo sounded a bit thin. The second verse ensued and by now confusion was clearly spreading among the audience. Where was Ritchie?

As it turned out, he'd arrived onstage, ready to begin the show, when he'd spotted the handheld camera in the wings of his side of the stage. Perhaps mindful of past experiences with onstage cameras, he ran offstage and demanded the camera be removed immediately. The one in the pit in front of the stage also bothered him and was quickly pointed downwards and wouldn't be seen working again during the rest of the show.

By the end of the third verse, when it was time for the guitar solo, Blackmore finally appeared. He doodled aimlessly, clearly not into the performance, and edged sideways across the stage towards Roger Glover. On Jon Lord's side of the stage was another handheld camera, providing excellent close-up shots of the keyboard player's fingers and hands (check out the film for proof), but this also bothered the guitarist. He later claimed to have agreed to the filming of the show on the condition that no cameras were onstage or between the band and the audience. Others claim this is nonsense.

Picking up a large plastic cup of water, Ritchie moved in closer and lobbed the full cup towards the camera on Jon's side. The camera was out of view from the audience, but very close to where Ian Gillan was minding his own business on the congas as he often does during guitar and organ solos. Consequently, from the audience's point of view, as the cup of water hurtled through the air, passing close over Gillan's head, it looked like Blackmore had been aiming it at the singer. It's been over seven years now, but this fan can still remember feeling at once sick, sad and angry at this seemingly obvious act of aggression. The show is reviewed elsewhere, but suffice to say the mood was spoiled and it took a lot of hard work from the band to get the crowd going again. In the end the show wasn't bad at all, but it hadn't been one of the best of the tour either.

ME: RG550/Les Paul
    MA: Taylor GSMiniMahogany
    Rig: PocketPOD/Roland MicroCub

Fuck your day in the park.

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

"The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti