Metal Guitarist Forums banner

ATTN: Drew

Tags
attn
2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Ambrosius 
#1 ·
blastbeats have groove.

I wish i could remember the name of this song so i could link the really version but this will give you an idea. Like it or not, groovy. :D

#5 ·
#6 ·

This is more my sort of drumming - technically proficcient, but with technique yaking a backseat to (absolutely kickass) phrasing. I'd quit guitar happily if I could play drums like Danny Carey.

#8 ·
Hey, I have some Mithras on my iPod, dude. I've listened to it maybe twice. :lol:

I appreciate the technique, No question. But, for me drumming I personally enjoy is more about accent. Danny Carey is a perfect example because he's not about machinegun-like rhythmic drive, but rather about creative use of offbeats and unpredictable beat accents. I think what I love about the guy's playing is the fact he's been studying indian tabla playing for like a decade now, and it really shows in how he phrases. It's very "circular" - he seems to play around the beat a lot. I love that shit.

And yet, with guitarists, while to a certain extent that holds true, I also LOVE rusty Cooley, who is sort of the shredder answer to a blastbeat. :lol:

EDUT - really, it's the snare, I think. Blastbeat style double kick doesn't bother me in the least, but the repetitive 16th/32nd snare hits do. Maybe cover most of it on the toms and use the snare as an accent and I'd dig it more... :shrug:

It's the same thing I don't like about early Metallica, the strong reliance on fast on-the-beat snare grooves.

#10 ·
Yeah, fast snare hits kill it for me. It's just distracting and annoying... double-bass and tom blasting is fine, but constant fast repetitive snare is just not my thing.

#12 ·
I like blasts for their ferocity in some cases and for their cleanliness and groove in others. IMO they can lose their meaning if overused or if the blast isn't changed up enough (fills are everything).

This song for example only has a blast at the end. Drummer's tight throughout with some pretty cool flare here and there and goes nuts at the end. All a matter of opinion and case by case basis really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.