Do any of you guys/gals...

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you guys/gals...

ME: PRS SE Custom
    MA: Yamaha FS720S
    Rig: Vox VT30

Do any of you guys/gals... the guitar diligently without the ultimate goal of doing it for a living?

I recently came to the realization that I practice more and/or play more (and have more fun!) when I'm not focused on the end product of all the work you'd put in to be in a band big enough to make a living from playing the guitar. It's a strange thing for me because ever since I started playing I thought I wanted to do it for a living and nothing else. Not so sure anymore...

Anyone feel the same way?

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I don't have a band really, and I've no illusion that one will have me or that I'll find musicians to start one with, so I'm doing it purely for the fun. I still try to do it as best I can, though. That's the enjoyable part for me.

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

I'm 38 and I gave up the "Rockstar" dream years ago. I still play the odd gig here and there, usually as a fill in for friends here in Nashville, but I got soooo much more enjoyment out of guitar, recording and music in general when I stopped being dependent on it.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

I realized a long time ago that if I was going to support myself on music, I'd have to do a lot of music that I didn't enjoy - mixing hip hop, playing in cover bands, etc. I do the projects that I enjoy, and support myself with my day job, and I'm much happier this way. I think if I had to support myself with music, all the sacrifices that I'd have to make would make music much less enjoyable, and much more like a "job".

I'm 24, and I'm slowly and carefully pursuing the rock star dream. By that, I mean that I have a day job (and a good, enjoyable job at that), but if I'm ever to realize my dreams, it will require more of a commitment. For now, I'm writing music and making demos. When I feel that I have enough material, and that the material is good enough, then I'll see about assembling an actual band, recording the songs properly, and playing some gigs. From there? Who knows.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I play instrumental guitar rock. I'm under NO illusions that I'd ever be able to sell enough albums to support myself.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

I'm 26 and I play in a death metal band. I get to do that at my own pace and on my own terms due to having a decently paying day-job. Although I would have sold my soul to play professionally just a few years ago, it's not actually a bad arrangement...
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Wirelessly posted ()

I take my music seriously and would love to have my band get to the point of touring regularly and supporting us. If I never get to that point, I'm not going to stop making music and taking it seriously, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now, working a day job to support making music.