Is it just me or...

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or...

Is it just me or...

... does this David Garrett violin guy have the most annoying vibrator ever?!

At 1:44 my body crinches.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

He has a problem that I struggle with - his vibrato is too fast for this song, IMO, and he seems to not have much speed control. It's also VERY wide. Maybe this song isn't the greatest example or it doesn't show the full variety of his range, though...
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

Same here. It sounds like an old lady's quivering voice just before she's about to die.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

No, its not just you.

I can't stand this guy.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Quote Originally Posted by Ola Englund View Post
    ... does this David Garrett violin guy have the most annoying vibrator ever?!
    I don't know about his vibrator, but from the sound of his vibrato, he's got one shoved up his ass, and it's set for "kill".

Wide, constant and uncontrolled vibrato on any instrument (including vocals) is a sign to me that the player/singer really has no clue how to use it as a dynamic tool to draw out more emotion in their playing.

Making every single note wiggle is annoying as fuck to listen to, and is what i call "musical theatre melodrama". You see performers in Andrew Lloyd Weber productions do this all the time, and just about every time some "professional" singer massacres a national anthem.

I wish the guitarist had stuck to Slash's beautifully melodic solos, and they didn't even play the epic second half of the song, which was just MADE for orchestral playing! Bah! Amateurs!

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

I watched his concert on PBS
    Wasn't super impressed really.

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

I don't notice it too much in the lower registers, but when he gets into the higher notes it makes me wince.

Just listening to it isn't too bad, but I can't possibly watch him play. My whole body tenses up (I'm cringing that badly).

ME: Revenger 7-1
    MA: Mitchell MD-100
    Rig: Crate GFX50 Two-Tone

I'm waiting for the gate to open, and Teal'c to come out a put an end to it.

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  Decibel Guitars  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge