Feeling uninspired creatively

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling uninspired creatively

ME: Chapman ML-1 Hot Rod
    Rig: Jet City JCA5012C

Feeling uninspired creatively

For the last several months I have felt very uninspired...I rarely pick up my guitar anymore and play. I know we all go through these phases, I'm just curious how best to get OUT of it. It's been a steady decline since my last band stopped playing around 2-3 years ago...I WANT to play and write, but I feel like my playing is terrible and my creativity is not there. I want to feel inspired and creative. There are steps I SHOULD be taking - listening to music outside my norm, playing/learning other band's music will keep my chops up there somewhat, give me ideas, etc. it's just more difficult with the job I have and the living situation etc. I got going on. Any suggestions how to get back on the saddle guys?

ME: DC727/RG7621
    MB: SR505
    Rig: HD500

That's always a tough time. I've gone through it a few times and the way I've gotten out the rut was different each time. Sometimes taking a break isn't a bad idea. If you just feel burnt out then a few weeks (maybe even a month or more) can really help.

If you're frustrated with your playing then maybe just focus on practicing rather than trying to compose? Or try to compose the music you really want to be playing, and practice until you can perform it effortlessly.

Another suggestion that appeals to the gearwhore in all of us is to try mixing up your equipment. If all you ever play is a 7, try a 6 or an 8 or even just a different seven string. I've had one guitar, a Carvin 727, since 2008 and just finally got a second, an old 7621. It makes me play differently, and the tones are quite dissimilar as well. It inspires me to try things that I wouldn't normally play on the carvin.

As far as composing, something I like to do is to mix up the order of instruments. That is, instead of starting with guitars like I do 95% of the time, I'll make myself write an interesting drum beat, or a catchy synth line, or a groovy bass riff, or a piano melody etc etc and fill in the guitar last.

Sorry for the rambling, just meandering thoughts.

ME: RG3570z
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25

Try to write a song outside the style you are used to. I went through the same thing sort of recently, and I just stopped writing metal riffs. Wrote a few alternative rock songs that gradually started getting heavier, and eventually I got back to writing stuff for metal that I was enjoying again.

ME: Sherman 8 String
    MB: Dingwall ABI 6 String
    Rig: Axe-FX Ultra

Sell your current guitar and buy a new one. Maybe get a Loomis?

ME: Chapman ML-1 Hot Rod
    Rig: Jet City JCA5012C

MA: Alvarez FDT243C
    MB: Spector Euro4LXStarr
    Rig: 6505+ / SVT-II Pro

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

Take lessons.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I heartily endorse trying out another instrument as a writing tool. It's gotten to the point where I write (or start writing) probably 75% of my music on keyboard these days. This also helps with my other main idea, which is to keep it simple. If you're not in the ideal living situation, start noodling around with something simple--just a single melody line or chord progression can lead to good things, often completely unexpected. It's when you put pressure on yourself to write something complex or technical that the writing block sets in, in my experience.