Handing out flyers these days?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handing out flyers these days?

ME: Electra X260 Invicta
    MB: Ibanez SR405
    Rig: SVT 6 Pro->M1400i->HLF410

Handing out flyers these days?

Do you think in this day and age of the internet that it's still a good idea to promote your shows by going out and giving out flyers? Do you think it'd be better just to hang your posters up at the venue? Is a "street team" still worth in putting together?

Been pondering around about these for awhile now.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

The 'net requests are much easier to ignore than someone actually talking to you about a show. However, if you approach to flyering is to pass them out en masse, without having a conversation with people, then you are absolutely wasting your time.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

For higher profile gigs, I flyer shop windows and stuff, lower ones I stick to FB.
    I always carry small flyers if I'm playing festivals though. I printed 100 this year and talked to each person. There was some guy wearing a Cradle tshirt asked what we were like, I said "Like a cross of the best bits of Fear Factory, older Slipknot and Lamb of God". Ha reply? "Nah, not bothered".... I nearly punched the cunt square in all 4 of his eyes.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

"Street team" isn't a bad idea, although you get the same/better results just getting band members on the ground at similar shows in the area. Just face time, working up a rapport with people in the music community. Standing at a door handing out fliers usually doesn't get far and plus, negative reactions can really damage morale.

Putting fliers in windows (like Plank mentioned) goes a long way. The value is similar to that of putting up a billboard for your company. You're not really supposed to expect to have a 1:1 people seeing the poster -> going to the show, but you're branding and getting your name out there. If people notice your band's name and a couple shows being advertised in places they're familiar with, they're more likely to seek you out or follow up over time. In that respect, physical fliers help your "long game" much better than FB requests.
    Argbadh - RHLCİ

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Well, if this counts, I actually held onto the flyers I got last friday and even more so, I LISTENED to the CD's I was given.

I think CD's/Flashdrives are a pretty slick way of getting the word out at shows. You can just print the flyer right into the face of the CD.....gettin' two birds stoned at once.

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    gettin' two birds stoned at once.
    Stealing this

ME: Strat
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: Modelers

Flyers will work if people know who you are, or know the people you're playing with. Otherwise, it's a waste of time and money.

For example, we used to have a practice space in a building with about 30 other bands. If we were playing a show close by, we would flyer the practice space building, and the nearby party store that everyone went to for cigs/beer/pizza/etc.

If you want to go the CD/Flashdrive route, leave those at the venue, and at local record shops, music stores, coffee shops, etc., where folks who would listen to your type of music might hang out.
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem"

ME: PRS / Gibson
    MA: Yamaha
    MB: Jazz 6-string
    Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    ...if you approach to flyering is to pass them out en masse, without having a conversation with people, then you are absolutely wasting your time.
    Yep. It's like telling a stranger "Here, throw this away for me."