Metal Guitarist Forums banner

First two Metal Church albums

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Brujira 
#1 ·
Un-fucking-touchable

#12 ·
Came raging in this thread unaware it was a necrobump thinking, "FUCK YES, SOMEONE STARTED A THREAD APPRECIATING ONE OF THE GREATEST THRASH METAL BANDS OF ALL TIME!"

:lol:

Yeah, Metal Church rules. David Wayne is one of the greatest vocalists of all time, and I don't mean that in a cutesy way either. He is up there with Halford and Dickinson in my book.

I think Howe has a better voice,
:nope:

You probably prefer Alder to Arch too.

#4 ·
I like The Dark more than the ST, the ST has two REALLY high points with Beyond the Black and Gods of Wrath and the other stuff, while mostly awesome, doesn't keep the momentum going as well. The Dark is more consistent IMO.

Beyond the Black is still their best song though.

#6 ·
I like The Dark more than the ST, the ST has two REALLY high points with Beyond the Black and Gods of Wrath and the other stuff, while mostly awesome, doesn't keep the momentum going as well. The Dark is more consistent IMO.

Beyond the Black is still their best song though.
See, I think The Dark drops off really badly after "Psycho", whereas some of my favorite MC songs are on side two of the debut. We're splitting hairs, though.

#7 ·
I'm a huge MC fan and love all the albums but Blessing is probably my fave. Howe is an awesome singer. Once and a while when they do a local show, he would sometimes up and does a song or 2. Been a while though and I don't know if he is still around.

#9 ·
Sorry to Necro-bump this thread, but I was just thinking in the shower this morning, "where is the love for Metal Church?" Yeah, I do most of my heavy thinking in the bathroom.

Seriously, I loved the first two albums. When they changed up singers, I felt that I preferred the original singer but the new guy was still great in his own right. I think "The Dark" was the best album. I always liked the kind of unique combination of the almost-electronic sounding drums with the fact that MC was just a little less technically oriented and a little more grungy (before the term grunge really existed) than other metal bands.

Funny story (at least to me)- my sister (2 years younger than me) went to a Catholic girls school, taught by nuns and the whole nine yards. She was about as good a girl as you would have found, but she and her friends were kind of tormented by some of the older nuns who apparently were just nasty old ladies (out of respect, I said ladies instead of a more appropriate term). So, my sister and her friends did a number of things to try and irritate the old nuns whenever they could. I remember my sister brought in my Metal Church tape and did some presentation/discussion on one of the songs, I think it was "Watch the Children Pray." Actually, that is a great song, and much tamer than something like "The Dark" or "Metal Church" ("... Metal Church, unholy church..."), but it was slow enough that she could kind of slip it under their radar long enough to actually play it. The nun proceeded to tell her it was satanic, and my sister kind of did her little innocent voice explaining why it was actually about (I forget what, but it was actually not really part of the song), concocting some ridiculously angellic interpretation and stood her ground. The whole point was that simply playing the song and arguing with the older nuns drove them nuts more than whether the song was really bad, and it worked.

Anywhoo...

#15 ·
I agree but the first two are classics......must own albums IMHO.:metal:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.