Your year-end lists. Post 'em.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your year-end lists. Post 'em.

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

Your year-end lists. Post 'em.

I do this every year with a bunch of friends and I always end up finding albums I missed during the year, so I figured we could do the same here. It can be any format you want: top 10, top 20, whatever. Here's mine (which is huge with all the youtube videos, jesus christ ):

15. Krownn - Hyborian Age
    Kr÷wnn - Stormborn - YouTube
    Retro doomy stoner rock from Italy. You know an album is going to be awesome when it starts out with a bunch of feedback and that quote from Conan the Barbarian. You know the one.

14. Aether Realm - One Chosen By the Gods
    ĂTHER REALM -- Odin Will Provide - YouTube
    Epic songs about Viking stuff featuring some pretty quality shout-along choruses. I'd love to see this guys live.

13. Howling - A Beast Conceived
    HOWLING - Six Souls for the Witching Hour - YouTube
    Kinda hard to hate on old-school thrash songs about classic horror movies when it's done this well.

12. Kongh - Sole Creation
    Kongh - Sole Creation [FULL ALBUM] - YouTube
    If Mastodon played crushing, sludgy, fuzzed out doom metal, it might sound kinda like this.

11. Haken - The Mountain
    Haken - Cockroach King - YouTube
    These guys manage to be weird and technical without sacrificing songwriting, something a lot of bands in this genre have trouble with. This is how you do prog.

10. Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Gorguts - Colored Sands - YouTube
    A number of bands released albums this year that did really cool things with dissonance and making something engaging out of musical ideas that should by rights be unlistenable. Colored Sands was the best.

9. Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats - Mind Control
    Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats- Mt. Abraxas - YouTube
    These guys didn't disappoint me with their follow up to Bloodlust. The opening track has one of the most righteous doom riffs I heard all year and the rest of the record is littered with similarly great moments.

8. Monolithe - Monolithe IV
    Monolithe - Monolithe IV - YouTube
    Apparently Monolithe have been around for a bit, but this was my introduction to them. All I can say is: damn. There was a lot of great doom released this year but I knew this would be on my list after the first listen.

7. Agrimonia - Rites of Separation
    agrimonia - talion - YouTube
    This one is a late entry, but it definitely earned its spot. The thing I like about this album is that it mixes a ton of different sounds without sounding contrived-everything blends seamlessly while giving the album a ton of variety.

6. Entropia - Vesper
    Entropia - Tesla - YouTube
    There have been so many bands hopping on the black metal/shoe gaze train in the last few years, but these guys are pretty special. Entropia punctuates their atmospheric sections with some pretty badass riffing, striking a balance I haven't heard many other bands pull off.

5. Mourning Beloveth - Formless
    Mourning Beloveth - Nothing has a Centre - YouTube
    These guys are clearly big My Dying Bride fans, and I'm okay with that. Hands down the best doom album released in 2013. I must have listened to Dead Channel (which I would have linked instead, if it were on youtube) in particular about a thousand times. You're doing something right when you create a song that's mostly variations on a single riff played at about 60bpm for 15 minutes and I'm listening to it on repeat.

4. Ghost - Infestissumam
    Ghost - Monstrance Clock - YouTube
    And screw you if you don't like it. Just a catchy, well-executed, funny album. It really sounds like these guys came out of some alternate dimension where the Beatles and Blue Oyster Cult really were the devil's music.

3. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
    Skeletonwitch - "Burned From Bone" - YouTube
    I love this band, and this is probably their best album yet. The songwriting is super tight - the whole thing clocks in at just over 31 minutes which, as it turns out, is just enough time to get in, kick wholesale ass, and get out before you wear out your welcome. There isn't a wasted riff or drum hit to be found. This probably has the best production of any metal album I listened to this year too. Bass? On a thrash record! Yup, and it rules.

2. Chthonic - Bu Tik
    CHTHONIC - Defenders of B˙-Tik Palace -Official Video |
    I wasn't familiar with Chthonic before this year but that's something I'm definitely going to have to rectify, if I can ever put this album down long enough to check out the rest of their work. A lot of orchestral/folk metal comes off as really cheesy or gimmicky, but this album just works. The Taiwanese/Chinese folk elements really give a neat feel to the tremendously awesome death metal being pumped out on this disc.

1. Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
    Queens of the Stone Age - I Appear Missing - YouTube
    A damn near perfect rock record. Some of the songs seem more personal and raw than on past albums but the album still has that trademark swagger and wit in spades. I've been spinning this pretty much constantly since it came out, and at this point it might have passed Songs for the Deaf as my favorite Queens album, which is no small task.

I didn't want to put EPs on my list but there were a couple that I really enjoyed this year, so here's two of them:

I imagine this is sort of what Sabbath would sound like if they dug up some unused Ronnie James Dio lyrics and had Adele sing them. The acoustic cover of War Pigs is pretty cool.

Geryon - Geryon
    Geryon - Brooklyn The Acheron 06/09/2013 - YouTube
    Death metal with just a bass, drums, and vocals. I expected to hate it but found myself listening to it a bunch.

And finally, here are two albums I heard this year that probably would have been on my 2013...if they hadn't technically come out in 2012. Oh well.

Bell Witch - Longing
    4. Bell Witch - Beneath the Mask - YouTube
    Super atmospheric and mournful doom. I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys do in the future.

Saccage - Death Crust Satanique
    Saccage - Death Crust Satanique FULL ALBUM (2012) - YouTube
    It shouldn't be legal to rock this hard. The production on this is awesome - loud, raw as hell and stupidly heavy, but perfectly clear. It took me a while to hear the whole album through because I just kept hitting repeat on the very first track.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Quote Originally Posted by no one ever
    I can't wait to watch all 15 youtube videos embedded in a single post!

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

Sorry, when I previewed the post the videos just showed up as links. How do I format them to get rid of the preview?

Edit: Got it. Changed em all to https. Carry on

ME: Sherman 8 String
    MB: Dingwall ABI 6 String
    Rig: Axe-FX Ultra

My top pick for the year's Firey-est Soul goes to:

ME: RG3570z
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25

Well I'm guessing I may catch a little shit for this since I'm not too sure how many other members keep up on hip-hop but whatever

Also, I have yet to pick up the new Feared album (i know! i suck!) and I'm sure from the few songs I've heard that it could very well end up in the mix here.

My 10 Favorite Albums of 2013:

10. Protest the Hero: Volition This album was definitely one of my 2 or 3 most anticipated. I jumped on the Indigogo campaign on day 1. It is a solid album front to back, but nothing really new or exciting. Kind of "just another PTH album"....which means it is kick-ass. I'm guessing it will grow on me a little and I will like it more as time goes on.

9. Kid Cudi: Indicud Kid Cudi is one of my all time faves. This album was super hyped and I was counting the days til it dropped. I was a little disappointed at first but I think that was because I hyped it up in my mind more than necessary. As time went on and I gave it a fair listen I realized there are a lot of really great tracks on this album and it snuck its way into my weekly rotation.

8. Alice in Chains: The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here AIC really delivered with this album! It is a lot better than "Black Gives Way to Blue" in my opinion and really solidifies this new line up. The groove on "Stone" is fucking sick. The best hard rock album of the year, by far.

7. Curren$y: New Jet City Curren$y is one of my favorite new rappers. I had heard a few track he had been on before this album, but never really dug deeper. I got this on a whim and am super glad I did.

6. Black Dahlia Murder: Everblack Another one I was super hyped for, and it lived up to it too! Nothing new or exciting, but since TDBM is one of my all time favorites that is fine by me. They do what they do very well, and this is another solid example of that. "Raped in Hatred by Vines of Thorn" might be my favorite song of the year.

5. A$AP Rocky: Long.Live.A$AP Another new name (for me). I really like Rocky's flow and everything that is going on with A$AP Mob represents where hip-hop is headed imo. I love these guys! This is a solid listen from front to back. The deluxe edition includes a track with Florence Welch (from Florence and the Machine) that is fucking awesome.

4. Revocation: Revocation This is my favorite new band! I don't know how I went so long without giving them a listen. I bought this album on a whim at best buy the day it was dropped and holy shit am I glad I did. I caught them on Summer Slaughter and quickly picked up the rest of their discography. These guys KICK ASS!

3. Virgil Donati: In This Life This one caught me by surprise. I have known who Virgil was for quite a while but had never really looked into his stuff beyond a few youtube videos of him doing insane shit on drums. When Cassidy made the thread about this album I ignored it for a few days before finally checking it out. HOLY SHIT. I am so glad I did. This has been nearly a daily listen for me since I got it. It is mind blowingly awesome.

2. Kanye West: Yeezus The man everyone loves to hate. Not much to say on this one, you either love it or hate it. I absolutely love it. Top to bottom, masterpiece.

1. Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) This was my favorite album of the year, by far. It totally crept on me too. I remember hearing about it just barely before it was released. From the first listen I knew it was something special. It is a perfect album from front to back!

ME: RGA 121 & SLSMG
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Gorguts – Colored Sands
    Oranssi Pazuzu – Valonielu
    Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused to Sing
    Fen – Dustwalker
    Cult of Luna – Vertikal
    Castevet - Obsian
    Portal – Vexovoid
    Ulcerate – Vermis
    Orbweaver – Transmissions from the Neuralnomicon
    Inquisition – Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
    The Ruins of Beverast – Blood Vaults
    Inter Arma - Sky Burial
    Lycus - Tempest
    Vattnet Viskar - Sky Swallower

in no particular order, except for Gorguts. That is my album of the year.

I still need to hear all of:

Altar of Plagues
    Grave Miasma
    In Solitude
    Pinkish Black

New albums (to me!)

Joy Division - Closer
    Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere
    Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
    Edge of Sanity - Crimson
    Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin
    Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
    Kraftwerk - Computer World
    Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
    Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - S/T
    13th Floor Elevators - Discography. I found a boxset with their first four albums for super cheap at my old job.

That should do it.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

It turns out all but one or two of the albums I listened to this year that got any kind of extensive play time was actually from 2012

ME: Ibanez S540LTD/RG760
    MA: Seagull S6
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

The only albums released in 2013 that I've bought are:

Amorphis - Circle
    Good album with some pretty epic songs.

Anathema - Universal (Live DVD/Blueray)
    A spectacular performance with great production.

Soen - Ideate
    This hasn't really clicked with me yet. Savia is a great song though

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
    Good album - a few spectacular songs (Drive Home, The Pin Drop and the Raven that Refused to Sing) and a few that have too much psychedelic prog wanking for my tastes.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen