Learning solos. Need help

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning solos. Need help

Learning solos. Need help

I've never in all the years I've played ever cared much for playing solos or felt the need to learn any. I just wanted to be like Hetfield. I'm getting to the point now that I want to start handling some lead work. I've missed out on some opportunities to play with other people because of my lack of knowledge and experience with lead work. I figured a good way to start learning was pick out some of my favorite solos and start learning them. I want to learn Bark at the Moon because I've always loved the solo. I've learned the whole song except the solo but it's pretty fast and I get lost about 5 seconds into it. Do you guys have any tips for learning solos? Any other advice for an aspiring lead player? Thanks in advance for your patience with my noob question.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

One, maybe start with something slower (lead technique is very different from rhythm technique). I'm not sure if you're a fan or not, but David Gilmour is usually a pretty good bet.

Two, break it up into small pieces, start slow, and work up to speed. Which is probably exactly how you learned rhythm guitar.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

I'm not a huge Floyd fan but I love gilmour's playing.

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

I wouldn't try and learn a solo that was built for speed. Look for a solo that has more feel so you can get your timing and find the proper pitch.
    Learn to be quick anyone can be slow

Do you look at the toilet paper after you wipe?

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

If you're a Metallica fan, take a crack at the intro solo to "Fade to Black." Slow, melodic, and well-put-together, with a few little quick licks that are relatively simple to play if you practice them slowly and bring them up to speed.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Wirelessly posted

Use VLC to slow it down. Tackle little phrases at a time. 4, 3, or even 2 note chunks.

Once you've got a couple of phrases, work on connecting them.

What is VLC?

ME: ESP Mirage
    MA: Yamaha APX 9C
    Rig: Mark IV

Angus Young solos are a good starting point! Highway to Hell for example contains a lot of classic licks, sounds good and isn't too complicated. Learn how to play the whole solo very slow (with a metronome or by slowing down the actual track). If a lick in particular offers more difficulties, play just that lick really slow and speed up as you get better at it then connect it to the rest of the solo.

I think Bark at the Moon is a bit ambitious as a first solo! Most of the time, solos don't sound as hard as they are and you can lose motivation quickly. As people suggested, David Gilmour is a great starting point (listen to the solo on Mother for example) to practice bends and some blues licks. Check out: AC/DC, Pink Floyd, some Metallica (intro solo to Fade to Black), when you get more comfortable definitely check out Deep Purple (solo on Smoke on the Water is a beauty), some Guns n roses (intro to pradise city, knocking on heavens foor solo), Dire Straits (Sultan of swing first solo, then second one maybe!).

Hope it helps