Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater concert - going?

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

Dream Theater concert - going?

What I mean is I have a ticket to see Dream Theater tonight. Bought it during a pre-sale in late December. 5th row. I'm having my doubts about going. Why?

Two reasons.

One - my daughter (9) is going on a field trip tomorrow, about 1 1/2 hours away. She's been slowly freaking out over the past couple of weeks because she's worried about the bus ride there. If anything could go wrong (or even things that couldn't even happen) - she's worried about it. It's driving my wife nuts. Last night my wife said "at least you get to go out tomorrow night & get away from all this - I have to put up with her (daughter) all night".

Two - my interest in Dream Theater is a lot lower than it used to be. Several years ago they were my favorite band. Now - not even close. I bought the ticket since I really like the venue they're playing at (smaller size, nice layout) and I figured I probably wouldn't get the chance to see them again at such a nice, quaint place.

I'd almost rather stay home & keep my daughter occupied (bike riding, playing basketball, playing board games, etc.) to keep her mind off of tomorrow as much as possible, plus giving my wife a break from this stress. Right now I'm listening to "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and I'm bored with what I'm hearing. I got their self-titled CD for Christmas & don't think I even listened the whole way through.

Basically I'm bored with them & not sure I want to sit through a 2-3 hour concert, plus the 2 hours (round trip) driving I'll have to do. But I paid for the ticket & can't get my money back. I haven't told my wife yet - still not sure what I'm going to do.

So, am I nuts for thinking this way?

ME: ESP Mirage
    Rig: Triaxis & SimulClass 2:90

I can totally relate to this sentiment. I never even bothered picking up the latest album and A Dramatic Turn of Events did nothing for me much like a few of the albums prior to that one.

Iíve seen DT numerous times over the years but itís been many years since Iíve seen them live. In fact, I canít even remember when it was and I really have no desire to ever see them again. Perhaps if Kevin Moore came back and they were going to play Awake in its entirety I would have second thoughts, but Iím just sort of done with them. Theyíre all incredibly gifted musicians, but the music just bores me to death now. Like you, they were once of my favorites so it's kind of sad for it to come to this.
    FUCK THE YANKEES, Cliff Lee, The Phillies, Tom Brady, Drew, snow, SS.org, Ebay, Bill Belichick, John Boehner, the iPhone, the gecko from the Geico commercials, shitty drivers, dealing with insurance companies, crazy ex girlfriends, my job at the moment, my shitty mood, new year's resolution's, happy people, the state of Connecticut, my cubicle at work, lower back pain, the Seahawks, anything Queensyche has done the last 15 years, NASA, Tiger Woods, the economy, people who can't drive in the rain, acid reflux, everyone in Dream Theater except John Myung, Metallica, customer service at Verizon, people who take up the whole aisle at the grocery store, The Rock, working Saturday's, waiting for Drew's album, The Packers, Robinson Cano, tires with no traction, spam email and the spam you eat, Putin, cavities, Netflix, Godzilla, Taylor Swift, the price of replacement windows on my house, squash... to be continued

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

How do you think you'll feel in a year? Two years? Five? Which option will you look back and wish you would have done?

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

If you've seen them before, they won't be any better this time.

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Yeah, similar story here. My favourite band until SDoIT, then they just got a bit stale for me. I haven't even heard the latest album, and I barely listened to much in the last four or so.

I wouldn't go see them live now, definitely not with travel. They'd basically need to be playing in my living room for me to watch a show of theirs now. If you can't get a refund, don't be tempted to go just because of that. You'll still have to spend money getting (and likely being) there, so maybe cut your losses. Stay home and watch the SFAM DVD.

ME: CU24
    MA: Baby Taylor
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Hartke HyDrive 210/Mk IVa

They have a new drummer, so I would go see them just for that. Give daughter some benadryl with dinner and your wife should be fine as well for the evening
    "Let us be kind one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle”" Ian McLaren

ME: Kxk 7 + RG 1527m x2
    Rig: ENGL Invader + AXE-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
    If you've seen them before, they won't be any better this time.
    They were actually a lot better this time than the 9 other times I went to see them, specifically John Petrucci was so on, and doing some really interesting takes on his solos that I haven't heard before.

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

No, I never saw them before. That's why I was initially excited when I bought my ticket.

But with what's going on right now, plus with it actually being Spring & warm outside, I'd rather not sit in a building for 3-4 hours listening to a band I'm not really crazy about anymore when I could be outside. Granted they are amazing musicians & I usually only go to one concert a year but I'm just bored with them. Wish I would have figured this out before I spent money on the ticket.