Musical identity crisis

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musical identity crisis

ME: Charvel SoCal Custom
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

Musical identity crisis

Currently going through one, big time. Feeling really lost and stuck for inspiration. I know where I want to go, and how I want things to sound, it's just not moving anywhere. I keep writing new riffs, feeling like I'm onto something, then listening back and going "nah" and trashing them.

It doesn't help that my band is really stuck in a rut at the moment. We've decided to move away from our current stock of songs, and that style all together really, as we've sat on these tracks for months now whilst auditioning vocalists and what not, and it's that whole syndrome of over-exposure, and feeling disenchanted with the way things are moving. It puts a bad stink on what you were initially excited about.

So after a brief band meeting the other night, we were all in agreement that it's probably time to start a fresh, perhaps ditching the idea of waiting for a vocalist, and me stepping in to cover those duties as well as guitar (at least for the time being).

It was one of those conversations that was uneasy at first, then escalated into excitement and creative fever. I left feeling really inspired, new pastures, blank canvas, and other clichés, ready to pick up my guitar and just riff like a bastard, start writing new songs, I couldn't wait!

...And ever since then, for the last 4 nights, all I've done is sit here with my guitar and delete riff after riff after riff .......
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

ME: Electric
    MA: Wooden
    MB: Trout
    Rig: EVH

Play for the sake of playing. You can get wrapped up in the "everything you do must be a song" idea when you play with others alot and sometimes just playing the freakin guitar without an agenda can help quite a bit. They all cant be songs, only the ones that stick, and if they don't stick..bye bye. All killer -no filler is a tough road but worth it I think. Just play man, no songwriting, as weird as that may sound right now.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

Delete riffs? eBay them

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

I'm in the same position, Mattayus, except that I'm not in a band anymore at the moment.

I think probably almost every musician is familiar with that feeling to some degree.

I personally find it really really weird because 4 years ago I had so many riff, lead, vocal, drum, bass, and song ideas that I couldn't keep up with myself. Sometimes I would write and record 4 songs in 1 week. Now? I'll sit down to write a song like you and come up with a bunch of riffs or leads, throw them away one after another after another after another.

So you'll get no advice from me. Because I got nothing.

ME: Jackson Pro KV
    Rig: marshall valvestate 2000

Blankplank what do you mean ebay them?

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

ME: PRS SE CU24
    MB: Squier VM Jazz V
    Rig: AxeFX II XL

As part of my degree that I've just finished, I wrote, recorded and performed live a 20ish minute EP of my original tracks, then right after I finished I got really psyched up about being in a band playing that stuff with a few guys I knew through uni. Skip forward nearly a year to now and the tracks on that EP are the last things I've written through to completion, I write a riff here and there but then the Pro Tools file just sits about until I've forgotten what's in it. I'm hoping that playing more will help as after moving back home I put the guitar down for a few months, only just getting back into playing more or less every day. However when I'm playing I usually end up jamming through songs I've learnt or am learning which is all good fun but not particularly helpful for coming up with my own stuff, I find anyway.

The whole deleting riffs thing though, it's far too easy to be over-critical of your own stuff, though I've no idea of how to stop that