Metal Guitarist Forums banner

ITT: Actual Prog metal! Brisbane band new track

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Bassist/Guitarist 
#1 ·
So yeah, this ma band, Kick The Butterfly. 100% Djent-free! Now with Vitamin R!

In all seriousness, we have come quite a long way in the year or so since our last demo, and we are somewhat proud of this track. :) We are currently tracking and mixing a bunch of tracks for an upcoming EP/album. We'd really really appreciate you guys slammin us a like on the facebooks if you have'nt already!

https://www.facebook.com/kickthebutterfly2013

------------------

Stats for nerds:

Left guitar: Ibanez RG2550 tuned D standard, through a 5134+ then an ENGL standard 412, SM7B, Dunlop 10-46s

Right guitar: PRS Custom 24 tuned D standard, through a Framus Dragon then a Marshall 1960b, SM57, Daddario 10-52s

Bass: LTD JM-500 tuned D standard with a low G, DI through Pod HD500, Dadario ProSteels .145-.050s

Drums: Some sort of Sonor kit with a bunch of different brand cymbals, Evans heads :lol:

Vocals were recorded with an AKG 414

Would really appreciate any sort of feedback aswell!

------------------

For anyone in the Brisbane area, we have a gig coming up this weekend at the Hi-Fi, tickets are $20 from their website or $15 from one of us, you can contact us through our facebook page. Or you can see us scalping our asses off before the show. :lol: :lol:

DEMANUFACTURE tickets (The Hi-Fi Brisbane) from The Hi-Fi powered by The Hi-Fi

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Not bad. Bit of a Twelve Foot Ninja sound (not a bad thing, since I love that band).

What model was the bassist using? There's only one bass amp on the HD500 and it doesn't sound like this :lol:
Alright, since I am the bassist, I feel like I am qualified to answer this. :rofl: I can only describe it to you because I dont know how to upload patches.

HD500 signal chain:

First it goes through a gate set very agressively,
The signal is then split:

Signal A is first sent through the "screamer" (TS808) pedal at 25% gain, with bass set pretty low, tone and treble set pretty high.
that signal is then sent through a "mid focus eq" and this just high passes the signal, at "23%"

Signal B is first sent through a mid focus EQ, with the low pass at 0%, so it only lets the super duper low end through.
Then sent through the "tube comp" with threshold at 0%, so this is heeeeeaps of compression. Level is at 14%
Then the signal is sent through another mid focus EQ, again with the LP at 0%

The signals are then blended with levels for each set so theyre roughly balanced in volume, then sent through one last gate set very aggressively.

Thats the sound for the heavy bits. For the 'disco-ish' part towards the end, I simply switch off the screamer.

For the clean parts, Its a whole new patch:

Signal first goes through the tube comp, moderate settings,
Then through the "classic distortion" (ProCo Rat) pedal, with no audible distortion, this is only to add character
Then a studio EQ with 75hz boosted 4db and 400hz reduced 8db (the bass is very mid-heavy)
Then another studio EQ, with 1000hz reduced 3db and 5000hz reduced 8db
Then a gate.

:D

#6 ·
I actually liked that. I am shocked!

#8 ·
Not my thing at all, but it's not djent so I won't just close this thread and edit it to some version of the nope.avi video.

EDIT - I'm not sure I'd call this prog either, though. At least based on the first 30-45 seconds.

#13 ·
EDIT - I'm not sure I'd call this prog either, though. At least based on the first 30-45 seconds.
yeah I was thinking that too - then it goes all disco followed by a chromatic jazz-influenced walking riff, so I figured its kinda prog :rofl: :rofl:

It's still very raw and lacking a solid direction but a good effort.
Thats kind of what we were going for. Most of the everything here was done in one take, live, the whole band at once. We're honsetly kind of sick of all the bullshit over produced crap in metal nowadays. :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the honest feedback guys! I expected no less :rofl: :flex:

#10 ·
Yeah this was going on in a lot in that tune....some pretty cool ideas in there though.

#16 ·
Vocals are a little too dry and too hot. I think they'd be very well suited to the song if they sat in the mix a little better. Honestly I thought was really cool, if a little bit "out there".

Props on getting a solid bass tone out of the pod HD. I'm having a hell of a time with it, honestly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.