Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimebag: Make me a believer

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Dimebag: Make me a believer

Today being the anniversary of his tragic murder, my Facebook feed is full of tributes to the fallen metal god.

Maybe it's my age and/or generation and/or the fact that i didn't listen to heavy guitar music for about a decade starting in my early 20s, but i never got into Pantera, and don't really understand what the big deal is about Dimebag Darrell Abbott. I've read loads of great stories about how amazing he was to his fans, and that's certainly a worthy legacy. But musically speaking, what would you say are his defining moments?

Post up below, with audio or video links... go:

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

So I'm just supposed to post Cemetary Gates and then you'll watch it and go "OH, yeah, wow you're right, this guy wrote some pretty cool shit"?
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I've never really been a Pantera fan. I like maybe two-thirds of an album worth of songs on the first two major releases, and maybe a few songs here and there after that. He was still playing riffs and cool leads on those two discs, and then he descended into just chugging the low string and making whammy (pedal and bar) noises. And don't even get me started on Phil, because I can't think of one moment that wouldn't have been done better by a different vocalist, and he inspired nearly two decades of shitty growlers.

So, having said that, listen to this:

That's one of the greatest solos I've ever heard. I love the way he develops it, starting with the moving diads, that beautiful hammer-on lick that he ascends the neck with, and the kick into high gear shred on that back half. I love all the squeal pull-ups at the end, too, and can just hear Halford in my head doing Phil's part for him. You know, since Phill fucking sucks.

The first major album is full of shreddy awesomeness. Vinnie and Dime were the Van Halen brothers of metal. They had such a great groove together, completely organic sounding. I often wonder what they would have sounded like if they never met Phil. If after that awful hair metal singer was pushed out, they landed a guy like Russ Anderson from Forbidden. I can totally hear him tearing it up over Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
    So I'm just supposed to post Cemetary Gates and then you'll watch it and go "OH, yeah, wow you're right, this guy wrote some pretty cool shit"?
    Fuck you, Soop.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Wirelessly posted

Spin all of Cowboys from Hell, then Vulgar Display of Power.

ME: Jackson DXMG
    MA: ibanez
    Rig: Jam Up/Bias

The sound.

who else sounded like Pantera? back in the early 90's when i first heard it i hadn't heard anything like it. i was just a young guitar player trying to learn and justice for all. when i heard Dime? i was blown away.... it had everything. the heavy riffs, the fast drums, solo's galore, and i liked phils voice.... at least back then. There is no Pantera after Far Beyond Driven
    There is no Dana….Only XUL

ME: Jackson DKMGT
    MA: Martin GPCPA5K
    Rig: Mindy the Framus Dragon

I don't like Pantera, and don't dig Dime's playing much either. Most of his stuff just sounds like random collections of notes.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me too, Dana.

I liked his sound, chromatics, feel, and whammy antics. I guess you either just groove with it or you don't.

Dime was a huge inspiration for my playing and sound, and I think he definitely still deserves the recognition he gets.

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

You know whats was the best thing about Pantera is. Music in the nineties sucked balls and these guys keep the 80's going with guitar solo's and all that stuff that was becoming a thing of the past. Darrel was a hero in more ways then one. I love this tune so aggressive.
    Learn to be quick anyone can be slow

Do you look at the toilet paper after you wipe?