Taylor Swift to Apple: Stop Screwing Over Artists

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Swift to Apple: Stop Screwing Over Artists

Taylor Swift to Apple: Stop Screwing Over Artists

I write this to explain why Iíll be holding back my album, 1989, from the new streaming service, Apple Music. I feel this deserves an explanation because Apple has been and will continue to be one of my best partners in selling music and creating ways for me to connect with my fans. I respect the company and the truly ingenious minds that have created a legacy based on innovation and pushing the right boundaries.

Iím sure you are aware that Apple Music will be offering a free 3 month trial to anyone who signs up for the service. Iím not sure you know that Apple Music will not be paying writers, producers, or artists for those three months. I find it to be shocking, disappointing, and completely unlike this historically progressive and generous company.

This is not about me. Thankfully I am on my fifth album and can support myself, my band, crew, and entire management team by playing live shows. This is about the new artist or band that has just released their first single and will not be paid for its success. This is about the young songwriter who just got his or her first cut and thought that the royalties from that would get them out of debt. This is about the producer who works tirelessly to innovate and create, just like the innovators and creators at Apple are pioneering in their fieldÖbut will not get paid for a quarter of a yearís worth of plays on his or her songs.

These are not the complaints of a spoiled, petulant child. These are the echoed sentiments of every artist, writer and producer in my social circles who are afraid to speak up publicly because we admire and respect Apple so much. We simply do not respect this particular call.

I realize that Apple is working towards a goal of paid streaming. I think that is beautiful progress. We know how astronomically successful Apple has been and we know that this incredible company has the money to pay artists, writers and producers for the 3 month trial periodÖ even if it is free for the fans trying it out.

Three months is a long time to go unpaid, and it is unfair to ask anyone to work for nothing. I say this with love, reverence, and admiration for everything else Apple has done. I hope that soon I can join them in the progression towards a streaming model that seems fair to those who create this music. I think this could be the platform that gets it right.

But I say to Apple with all due respect, itís not too late to change this policy and change the minds of those in the music industry who will be deeply and gravely affected by this. We donít ask you for free iPhones. Please donít ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation.
    Taylor Swift - To Apple, Love Taylor

Is it that compensating musicians fairly for their work can't be part of a viable business plan for a music streaming service, or is this another example of corporate greed and profit-maximization?

I'm willing to bet on the latter.

On a related note, here's how Google does the same thing.

ME: Jackson DXMG
    MA: ibanez
    Rig: Jam Up/Bias

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: Jamup Pro

So, is she also "holding back" her older albums as well?...

ME: Jackson DK2
    MA: Lag T66ACE
    MB: Aria SLB

Interesting thought that I saw on this - https://junction10.wordpress.com/201...-throw-stones/
    10 PRINT "Nom ";
    20 GOTO 10

Nom Nom Nom Nom...
    Error: Buffet overflow!

That is the fault of the photographer for accepting the contract, and that's not Taylor Swift's fault. The dude is just piggybacking on her name, to get people aware of this situation.

If they don't accept the contract, the artist's reps will just find someone who will. This happens with musicians with record labels, content creators that work with Youtube, you name it, a big company is exploiting it. I find it hard to believe that you can put the blame on Taylor Swift to have read a contract written by people she paid to do this type of work for her.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

Yeah, I don't think Taylor would even know that's in there, and now that she does, I'd be fairly confident she'd do something about it.