Metal Guitarist Forums banner

34 Years ago today

Tags
ago
2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
Make sure you play some Randy Riffs today.

#3 ·

Randy Rhoads was the player who made me want to play. The two albums he played on with Ozzy's band are sonic religion to me.

This is the song that got me. The solo flipped me out as a kid. It still does.

RIP Randy

Reactions: watson503
#5 ·
I find the loss of his life very saddening, but his loss on the music world is not that big a deal to me. I love the tunes he did with Ozzy but his style of playing,lead guitar playing in particular, always was just meh to me. His playing is just so stiff an shrill, it's just not something that I really liked honestly. Jake E. Lee was my favorite Ozzy guitar player then Zakk in the early years of his career.

I know it's a HUGE metal no no, but I'm not really a fan of RR's at all.

#7 ·
I find the loss of his life very saddening, but his loss on the music world is not that big a deal to me. I love the tunes he did with Ozzy but his style of playing,lead guitar playing in particular, always was just meh to me. His playing is just so stiff an shrill, it's just not something that I really liked honestly. Jake E. Lee was my favorite Ozzy guitar player then Zakk in the early years of his career.

I know it's a HUGE metal no no, but I'm not really a fan of RR's at all.
As a guy who discovered Rhoads when I was a teen and has heard hundreds of guitarists since, many of whom I like, I understand what you're saying. But, like other standouts of his era, Rhoads was unique for his time. We can look back and find fault with his playing, since everyone has had the advantage of standing on his and other shoulders, but remember that all we are today is what we learned. And Rhoads was part of that.

I've always been a fan of Randy Rhoads and will be... even when I think others may have surpassed his style today.

#8 ·
I've never been the biggest fan of RRs soloing, guy can find way more notes too hit in a solo than I can but I'm more in Gilmour camp when it comes to leads, but the guy's riffs are fucking awesome. Perfect combination of melody and intensity that still makes for epic head banging all these years later.

#9 ·
Randy was (and still is) a hugely influential guitarist, and as you can probably tell from my avatar I'm a bit of a fan. The Rhoads is my favourite live guitar, the shape is perfect for me in a live situation.

And those riffs! :james:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.